Problem with Firefox 37 stub installer

Discussion in 'Computing and Networks' started by tjohnson, Mar 31, 2015.

1. tjohnson

Thread Starter Active Member

Dec 23, 2014
    Firefox 37 was released today, and I downloaded the stub installer. When I ran the installer, I got an error saying "download interrupted" just before the Firefox download finished. I tried running it three times, and still am getting this error. I'm aware that I could download the non-stub installer, but is there anyone else that is having this problem?

On a side note: I'm not a big fan of the way programs with rapid release cycles do version numbering. I guess someday there will be Firefox 100 and Chrome 250!:eek:

2. JohnInTX

Jun 26, 2012
    Consider yourself lucky.. I let FF auto-update to 37 to check your problem and it clobbered my network drivers after restarting. Typing from a tablet now. Running sys restore as all diagnostocs report OK. looks like a DNS issue...

Advice: leave it alone for now. Win7-64

UPDATE - System Restore fixed the problem by reverting FF to 36.xx I changed the updates to check but don't install for now. Sounds like a sour release. Note that clicking "About Firefox' to see what version it was caused it to immediately download 37 and the fun began right there.
    *whew*

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  3. tjohnson

Dec 23, 2014
    @JohnInTX: Thanks for trying it out, and sorry to cause you the trouble.

4. tjohnson

Dec 23, 2014
    In the meantime, Firefox automatically downloaded the update for me as well because I had clicked on About Firefox a few hours ago. I decided to risk applying it, and version 37 appears to be working fine so far.

@JohnInTX: Since the update worked for me, I assume the problem is likely related to your hardware or software.

JohnInTX likes this.
  5. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    I must have my Firefox set up wrong. They never ask me about updating, wake up the computer and it does the download automatic. Been maybe 4 or 5(?) updates in last week.

6. JohnInTX

Jun 26, 2012
    No worries. It would have auto-updated eventually.
    @shortbus I used the default auto-update too with only the occasional annoyance of a delayed startup when it wanted to install one. This time, *boom* Going to try a clean install today.
    You can change the update schedule in Options->Advanced->Update

7. BR-549

Sep 22, 2013
    What is a "stub" installer?

8. tjohnson

Dec 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
    BR-549 likes this.
  9. tom_s

Jun 27, 2014
    have had issues with some 'stub' installers (not only firefox)

now i just download latest full version from originating site and install that. effectively cutting out the middle man :)

10. tjohnson

Dec 23, 2014
    Stub installers are supposed to have the benefit of not needing to download a new installer every time a new version of a program is released, because you can just run the installer again to download the new version. However, many stub installers (including that of Firefox) seem to be updated fairly often, so I usually download a fresh version each time anyway.

Apparently there were some issues with the Firefox 37 stub installer. According to this article:
    EDIT: I just ran the Firefox 37.0.1 stub installer on another computer without any problems, so my original issue does indeed appear to have been fixed.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  11. JohnInTX

Jun 26, 2012
    Mine too! It also restored my plugins. After living a few days without the incomparable AdBlock Plus, I was ready to give up on the internet. Sent the author some $$.