Problem with COM-Init

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Hi all,

I finally taken the plunge into the deep, dark world of PICs!

However, I've come across a problem when trying to program the PIC itself.

When I'm actually programming the PIC, a message pops up saying;

"COM-Init-Error!"

I know the program is correct as it was a sample code I bought with the board, I've checked that it was converted to HEX for the correct PIC, but still this message pops up.

Can anyone help me find the problem?

I'm using the VM111 kit from Velleman, see here; http://www.vellemanprojects.eu/distributor/support/downloads/?code=VM111

It contains a 16F627.

Thanks,

Sparky

Attachments

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I've never used anything from Velleman, all my tools are from Microchip.

Their webpage states the PC program is "software: PICprog Rev 3.0.0.5" which does not match the title of the window in your attachment.

Are you sure you have selected the COM port your serial port is on?

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Yes.

I'm on a laptop so there is only one choice, and I made sure it was on by linking the laptop to the TV...

The software I'm using is exactly the stuff that came with the kit. That's why I paid a bit more money for it, so I could be sure that it worked.

Oh the irony...:rolleyes:

stahta01

Joined Jun 9, 2011
Per ErnieM post, I would check the com port.

The view/set button under configuration is likely set to the wrong com port.

I am guessing you have an 9 pin rs-232 port on your computer and the cable from it goes to the programmer.

If using an USB to rs232; you should confirm it works with the programmer.

Tim S.

Last edited:
Well a com init error is the result of one of two possible problems..1) the software u are using the load the hex file is installed incorrectly or is not supported by your system or 2) u have the wrong com port selected for loading your program