problem with circuit in home

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by twahl92, Feb 1, 2016.

1. twahl92

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 1, 2016
    I have a circuit i have been working on for a while now trying to troubleshoot and find the issue with. It stared with a plug getting arced on a bed from and tripping the breaker after i reset that come back no power was restored, so i went ahead and replaced the breaker but still nothing. Now checking the outlets with a recptacle tester it tells me rev hot and ground, pulled evethhing out fixed all back stabs and loose screws checked all was properly wired. still no fix. Now checking with a meter the voltage across hot and neutral is 10 but hot to ground and neutral to ground both give me 120v so im getting power to it but nothings happening. Not exactly sure what else i should try, would like to fix this my self with out calling an electrician. Can any one offer their advice?

2. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Open Neutral:
    Your neutral feed has opened up somewhere up stream.
    Max.

3. ebeowulf17

Aug 12, 2014
    If neutral to ground reads 120V, it sounds to me like there's also a short somewhere between hot and neutral. Or do you think something plugged into the circuit on another outlet is what's passing the 120V to the neutral?

4. gerty

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 30, 2007
    Check to see if you have a tripped GFCI receptacle somewhere... You never know, especially in an old house..

5. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    Unless you have reason to think that the tester is working wrongly, if all receptacles on that circuit give the same indication on the tester then I'd believe the tester and check that when you replaced the breaker it was wired correctly.

6. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Yes, That is what I meant to imply.
    Max.

7. SLK001

Nov 29, 2011
    Did you replace the outlet receptical? It could be bad.