problem with buffer

mateusz

Joined Feb 10, 2013
Hello.
I have a problem with one task.

Using only three-condition buffer and one resistor design a circuit which functionality is the same as buffer with open-collector. Can any one help me with this ?:confused:

Thanks with advance.

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
1) Ive found circuit of buffer with open-collector ( http://sub.allaboutcircuits.com/images/04089.png )

2) Im looking for three-condition buffer but I can't find it.

But even if I find it, I wont solve this problem :/
But you don't need the circuits. You need to know how they behave.

You have a black box that I tell you is an open collector buffer. What do you expect to see? How many inputs? How many outputs? How do you expect the outputs to respond the inputs?

Now you have a black box that I tell you is an "three-condition" buffer, also known as a "three-state" or "tri-state" buffer. Same questions? What do you you expect to see and how do you expect it to behave?

The goal is to take one of the black boxes that is a three-state buffer and a resistor and put that inside the other box and hook it up so that you can't tell that it has that inside instead of an actual open-collector buffer.

Now, some issues that might cause you problems: Are you only trying to replicate the open collector buffer, or the typical circuit in which it has a pullup resistor on the output? Is the three-state buffer you are working with have an active HI or an active LO output enable input?