Problem with breadboard ???

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Dr.killjoy, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Dr.killjoy

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2013
    Today I was playing with my breadboard and I was using a kit or resistors that I bought off ebay (They are metal film 1% tol ).. Well the problem came when I hook up everything and noting worked and well apparently the finger in the breadboard is not making contact with the thin leads of the resistors ...So has anyone else had this problem ??????

Jason SR

Nov 30, 2010
    One person said the back came loose. Try to be sure it is fastened properly.
  3. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    What is the diameter of the resistor leads?

Some low quality breadboards have holes that are too wide or become too wide when large diameter leads and wires are inserted into the holes.

Loss of contact may be experienced when some DIP ICs are inserted.

Edit: As #12 suggested, make sure the breadboard is pressed down hard against a solid backing. If there is a thin layer of foam backing, remove the foam.
  4. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    Yes, some of the cheap resistors with very small diameter leads can be a problem with solderless breadboards.

Also, if your breadboard has been used a lot, the thick tape on the bottom of the board can sag, which lets the connectors inside the board sag away from the holes on the top of the board. I found that with some of my breadboards, and solved the problem by cutting a small piece of sheet metal, peeling the paper from the bottom of the tape, and sticking the sheet metal to the sticky tape.

it's also possible that some of the contacts inside your breadboard have been "sprung" by inserting wires or pins that were too large in diameter.

ETA: I need a speed typing course. :)
  5. sirch2

Jan 21, 2013
    I suspect it is also possible to push crud (like the adhesive from the tape that was holding resistors) into the breadboard connectors and then they make poor or intermittent contact.

Breadboards do seem to last a good long time so when mine start getting flaky I bin then and buy more - time spent fault finding the breadboard itself seems like a total waste.
    PackratKing likes this.
  6. Mike33

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 4, 2005
    Use your thumb against the back of the board, see if any of the connectors have pushed down. Often, you can reseat them with a firm push. I've had mine for over 10 years, and that's all they ever seem to need.

I am also very careful not to ever push 'too large diameter' wires into them. You know them when you see them ;o)
  7. Dr.killjoy

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2013
    Thanks guys
    I will play with it tonight and I am using a Jameco board with aluminum back plate ..