Problem with ADC0808CCN

arivalagan13

Joined Apr 30, 2009
Hi group..
I hope everyone is doing well..
I got a problem with ADC circuit..
Before my problem kindly have a look at the circuit I used to test the ADC with attachments..
I'm using ADC0808CCN,which is a 8-channel ADC..
I need to use 4(out of 8) channels for my application..

Before doing that I decided to test one channel by the manner shown in the circuit diagram that I attached..

But the conversion is not taking place...

I'm getting strange responses...which I can't even explain
I used 640kHz clock(also tried with 550kHz)..

I'm getting the same response with and without the clock..

Kindly help me to sort out this problem..

Thanks & Regards,
Arivu

Attachments

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
The ALE pin requires only a pulse and not a continuous 5V signal. Use a pushbutton to pulse it once. Also, you need resistors in series with each diode to limit the current.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
The converter is intended to communicate with a microprocessor, not drive LED's directly. You need to place a 300 ohm resistor in series with each LED to keep high currents from destroying the internal circuitry.

arivalagan13

Joined Apr 30, 2009
I tried the circuit with pulse(instead 0f +Vcc) to ALE...also with resistors in series with LEDs...but still I'm getting the same response...

Also,suggest me(with IC numbers) some popular 4-channel ADC with 8- to 12-bit resolution...and a single channel ADC with the same resolution..

Regards & Thanks,
Arivu

arivalagan13

Joined Apr 30, 2009
when I connect the circuit all the LEDs are glowing(but across some LEDs I'm getting about 3.2V and 2.16V across some LEDs)..

Also I'm getting the same response(as I said above) with or without clock signal)..

Arivu