problem with adc0808

varund

Joined Jan 25, 2012
hallow,
can any one tell me is their any need to connect a clock signal to adc0808
if yes then how to connect oscillator

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Did you look at the data sheet? It clearly shows a clock input pin and states that the clock should be between 10kHz and 1280kHz. You simply connect the oscillator of the appropriate frequency and voltage (0-5V) to the input pin labeled clock.

Now that wasn't so hard, was it? :rolleyes:

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Yes there is. You not suspected that, you knew it. But you wanted a confirmation.

Better to do what they put it simply as "RTFM".

Last edited:

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Not the proper way of helping someone in this forum. A big no-no to both of you! :confused:
And what is the "proper way"?

Sorry, but my patience runs thin for those who try to use complex ICs without reading the data sheets (of which there appear to be many). :rolleyes: I don't call myself a curmudgeon for no reason. And anyway who died and made you arbitrar of this forum?:confused:

PaulEE

Joined Dec 23, 2011
Now, now...the ADC0808 can be an annoying chip in my experience. But, it is always a good idea to read the datasheet and understand the theory behind what you're doing before you do it and expect it to work perfectly, blindly...

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
And what is the "proper way"?

Sorry, but my patience runs thin for those who try to use complex ICs without reading the data sheets (of which there appear to be many). :rolleyes: I don't call myself a curmudgeon for no reason. And anyway who died and made you arbitrar of this forum?:confused:
I'm not an arbritar, but I'm tired to see that some members want to follow someone else's path (I think you know who I'm talking about) instead of refraining from posting. If you don't want to help, don't. If you do, simply post a link to the datasheet instead of being unpolite and patronizing. All members of AAC should contribute to the well being inside this forum. This is not YouTube.

PaulEE

Joined Dec 23, 2011
After reviewing the ADC0808 datasheet, the original poster had the right to be curious about the proper way to furnish a clock signal. They did not have an example schematic, nor did they have a section of electrical characteristics dedicated to the clock input pin.

After looking at the "control signals" section of electrical characteristics, I found that a logic "1" input is considered, at minimum, to be Vcc-1.5v; so, if your supply is +5v, then the minimum value on the clock input pin that would constitute a logic "1" would be 3.5v.

The logic low, at maximum, was set at 1.5v.

To someone that is not used to navigating datasheets, this could've been a subtle thing to find, especially since it wasn't blatantly called a "clock" signal.

Furthermore, the OP was speaking slightly-broken English, which means he might not have an easy a time reading English literature for parts.

Assume NOTHING about someone when all you have to judge is TEXT.

Hope this helps, varund! :)

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I understand some data sheets can be difficult to read, but if the OP can't determine from the data sheet whether the device needs a clock or not, as he stated in his post (not just the characteristics of the clock signal), then he's likely to have a problem understanding how to use the chip for many other reasons besides that. :rolleyes:

PaulEE

Joined Dec 23, 2011
I understand some data sheets can be difficult to read, but if the OP can't determine from the data sheet whether the device needs a clock or not, as he stated in his post (not just the characteristics of the clock signal), then he's likely to have a problem understanding how to use the chip for many other reasons besides that. :rolleyes:
Exactly...I default to think that he or she knows everything else they need to know until they prove otherwise... :D