problem with a Voltage follower (Buffer)

RobotHeart

Joined Feb 21, 2010
sorry..not 800mA....800mAh.
so i guess with all of these components i dont need to connect the circuit u gave me...am i right ?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Yes, you need the circuit that I drew for you.

If you keep using the single transistor with the 100 Ohm base resistor, you will probably damage your uC, and will get poor performance from your motor.

The circuit that I gave you multiplies the gain of the 1st transistor by the gain of the 2nd two transistors, and the parts are all used within their specifications.

The base resistor for the 2N2222 can be 1/10 Watt or larger.

The base resistors for the 2N2907 transistors should be rated 1/4 Watt or 1/2 Watt.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Did you mean TIP120?

A TIP120 is a Darlington transistor; internally it has two transistors with a body diode; the gain of the 1st transistor multiplies the gain of the 2nd transistor. The problem with Darlingtons is the high Vce, as the 2nd transistor doesn't really saturate. You would lose too much voltage across the collector-emitter junction (about 0.7-0.9v), and the motor would run slower.

With the circuit I presented, you would have a very low Vce and maximum voltage across the motor, as all three transistors are saturated.

If you want something simple, use a IRLD014 or IRLD024 MOSFET in a 4-pin DIP package. It doesn't get a whole lot better than that for hobbyists who want to prototype stuff. Connect the source to the - terminal of your motor, drain to ground, gate to your control input, motor + terminal to your + supply.