Problem with a circuit

johnkaz77

Joined Sep 20, 2010
Hi,i have this circuit that sources current when Vin+ and sinks when Vin-, however i don't really understand how it works,can anyone explain?Moreover,I should control Vin- and Vin+ with a pot with its 2 edges connected to a negative and a positive power supply respectivelly,how can this be done?If the 2 inputs of the op amp are the same how will it work??Am i missing something here?

Attachments

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
This is a Howland current pump. See National's AN1515. Figure 9, on p.7, is the same configuration. If you study this document, and others you can find by using search engines, you may gain some insight.

johnkaz77

Joined Sep 20, 2010
I still find it difficult to understand how can this be implemented with only one pot.Something like that in the picture below seems more logical to me,is it correct?

Attachments

johnkaz77

Joined Sep 20, 2010
Oh,so i apply voltage only to the V+ terminal and the pot controls whether the circuit will source current (positive voltage) or sink (negative voltage),right?
It must be wrong typing,i couldn't find anything either!
Thanks a lot for your help!!

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Oh,so i apply voltage only to the V+ terminal and the pot controls whether the circuit will source current (positive voltage) or sink (negative voltage),right?
That's correct. Your other choice would be to ground Vin+ and apply the pot and the voltage follower to Vin-. The circuit would work the same, but pot rotation would be reversed - you would get positive output current when the pot voltage was negative, and vice-versa.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
I'd agree with you if they annotated the symbols, but I belive that is usually done with the software.

What software does the OP use?
Yeah, I was wondering about that. It's like he has a spice model that is incorrectly named.
Maybe it's just a schematic drawing program.