Problem using 74HC4017

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by xisco, Mar 2, 2010.

1. xisco

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 2, 2010
    To whom it may concern,

I am doing my final year project (Multi-loop PLL frequency synthesizer) and I am using this counter in order to divide the frequency. I am finding some dificulties to achieve the division. In the date sheet provided by NXP there is a schematic to achieve division by 2 through 10. I have implemented this circuit however, I have not been able to divide, I would be grateful if someone could help me.

Thank you,

Best regards,

Francis

2. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Hello Francis,
    The first thing you should do is to post a schematic of how you have things wired up right now.

A schematic tells a rather complete story using almost no words. This will help us help you much more quickly.

Note that 74 series ICs have a fairly limited range of voltages that they will operate correctly on.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  3. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

Can you post the schematic of the circuit you have upto now?
    Preferred is a drawing in .png format.

Greetings,
    Bertus

4. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    A CD4017 and a 74HC4017 has one output connected to its reset pin to make a frequency divider.

5. xisco

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Hello to all,

First of all I would like to thank you your responses!!. I have attached to this message a schematic (from the data sheet, I am trying the find the spice simulation model to do it on DXP and I thought almost everyone would have paint) I have implemented this circuit with the only change of MR instead being connected to the divide by 3 pin it is connected to the divide by 10 pin. But it is giving me the same output frequency as the input frequency. However, I tried different connections and I finally was able to achieve division by 10 by not connecting MR to the divide by 10 pin. I was wondering how this can happen I have achieved what i needed now but in my project I need to divide also by 9 and at the moment I am trying to know why it is not working and how to make it work.

Best regards,

Francis,