Problem in triac off state voltage

Muhammad Osama

Joined Oct 20, 2016
Hello All,
I am making a 3phase static transfer switch using triac.The triac which I used is Bta-12 800b.Actually I want to switch load between 3phases in my home.The problem is whenever I switch my circuit on ,the triac got ruptures and there is a blast.I am working on resistive load so I haven't put snubber.Can u plz tell the issue.Attached is the schematic of my circuit
Thanks

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
You must be very, very sure that only one triac is ever switched on. The triac which is switched on will continue to conduct until the end of the cycle even if the control signal is removed so you need a delay between switching one off and switching the next one on.

B0M

Joined Nov 11, 2016
You must be very, very sure that only one triac is ever switched on. The triac which is switched on will continue to conduct until the end of the cycle even if the control signal is removed so you need a delay between switching one off and switching the next one on.
I have to agree. If two TRIACS are turned on at the same time, you're basically creating a short circuit. This is three phase we're dealing with here, so assuming you're always supplying power to the RED, YELLOW, and BLUE phases, they would most likely be at different voltage levels. So if the TRIAC of RED PHASE and YELLOW PHASE are both activated, RED PHASE would be at a different voltage potential than the YELLOW PHASE and when there is a connection with almost no resistance between different voltage potentials, a high amount of current can go through them. Thus a short circuit.

Muhammad Osama

Joined Oct 20, 2016
Thanks 4 reply.But I am giving a delay of 2s between switching so it won't be a issue

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Where does that "Ground" connection on the left go to?
According to your circuit that lead is hot with the load voltage when the TRIAC fires.