problem in operating a power relay with the help of microcontroller

devmania

Joined Aug 22, 2010
Hi Everyone,

I am here with a problem and i hope some one will help me out with this. I want to operate a power relay with the help of a microcontroller , the rating of the relay is 415v 12A . I have attached some files regarding the details of the relay i am going to use. Please suggest me what to do ?

Regards
Dev

Attachments

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
In allaboutcircuit we do not encourage anybody to work with high voltage as its dangerous,but anyway these stuffs are done by using a TRIAC if the relay is dc then use a SCR.
415 volt(AC/DC) is quite dangerous,so be carefull ....
Good Luck

devmania

Joined Aug 22, 2010
Thanks Beenthere ..
I will be using contactors... but how can i operate these contactors using microcontroller ... what should i use in between contactors and microcontroller . Please help me with this.

devmania

Joined Aug 22, 2010
Thanks for the suggestion , i will be taking preventive precautions .
My aim is to operate a contactor using microcontroller. The contactor will be connected to a 3-ph induction motor. The contactor coil need 24vDc and can operate at 415v Ac . So i wanted to know which microcontroller should i use and what interface should i make between controller and contactor.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
You wull need a Darlington transistor to handle the relay current. Something like a TIP122 might work. You can get a data sheet at the link - http://www.fairchildsemi.com/pf/TI/TIP122.html

You will need a resistor between the I/O pin and the transistor base to limit current. Something on the order of 360 ohms would be close. Place a diode across the relay coil So it is reverse biased when the transistor conducts. It will cut the inductive kick when the relay current stops. The relay goes between the 24 volt source and the TIP collector, with the emitter to ground.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
you best be opto isolating. You don't want any of that nasty voltage/frequency anywhere near your micro. A common setup would be an opto isolator driving a smaller 5-24v relay, which in turn would switch 120vac control voltage, which would in turn pull in your contactor. The 120 control is obtained with a stepdown control transformer. Don't forget to wire your overloads and E stops.