[Problem] Controlling a brushless ESC using arduino

urih

Joined May 7, 2013
Hi Everybody,

Lately I'm trying to control a brushless ESC using arduino pro mini.

I'm using the old Servo library (the one based on PWM) and not the new one since I'm also working with the "softwareSerial" library.

The weird thing is that when I connect a servo-tester to the ESC and set it to zero speed, the ESC recognizes the servo-tester and initialize.

However, when I connect the arduino to the ESC and set the servo-class to zero degrees, the ESC fails to initialize.
It only initialize when I set the servo-class to output 50 degrees PWM.

Does anyone know why? :confused:

Unfortunately I don't have an Oscilloscope so I can't check the waves and compare...

Uri

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I think I might have read somewhere that 50% duty cycle corresponds to 0 degrees ( or speed in this case maybe). <50% = one direction, >50% = the other.

urih

Joined May 7, 2013
I think that when your motor goes both ways you are correct.
My motor goes only one way and the problem begins even before the motor starts rotating - the ESC fails to initialize...

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
Have you tried controlling a standard servo with your arduino yet? That might help you trouble shoot. I used an arduino to control a servo once; it was some time ago, but I remember having to fiddle a little to get the servo to do what I thought it should do.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I think that when your motor goes both ways you are correct.
My motor goes only one way and the problem begins even before the motor starts rotating - the ESC fails to initialize...
Well, it only fails to initialize when the duty cycle is ≠ 50%, right? So that says to me, that it wants to see 50% to start. So give it what it wants. You may only need forward movement, but the esc is probably capable of bidirectional output. You may be limited to half the arduino's output resolution. You may just have to utilize duty cycle between 50% and 100%.

Again, I have never used an ESC or a servo. Just read about it, a while back. I'm surprised a more knowledgeable person hasn't chimed in yet. I hope one does.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Brushless ESC (Electronic Speed Controller) covers alot of different technology from BLDC and AC servo's with electronic commutation to model Outrunners Inrunners etc.
And the controllers are equally diverse, so with only vague details it is a bit difficult to offer any assistance?
Max.