Problem attaching PNG file

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by BillB3857, Dec 22, 2009.

1. BillB3857

Thread Starter Senior Member

Feb 28, 2009
    I tried to attach a PNG file to a posting but when I click on the MANAGE ATTCHMENTS block, it blinks but nothing else happens. What am I doing wrong?. No menu change to locate the or define location of the desired attachment.

2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Do you have a pop up blocker enabled perhaps?

3. BillB3857

Thread Starter Senior Member

Feb 28, 2009
    Thanks for the reply, Bill. I just went to my desktop instead of my laptop and the PNG went OK. I'll check the laptop later for popup blockers.

4. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    PNG's tend to be pretty big, make sure your not going over a size limit. As for working on one computer and not working on another this is just standard MS stuff. I have a client I can only upload to on my laptop, if I try to do it with my desktop it just hangs and fails. Each build of WIN is different.

5. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    That really isn't a problem, as .PNG is a compressed format too. In this case the forum sets the limits, not the computer. Most images are measured is the small Kb range. We're not talking photographs typically, mostly schematics.

On Win98SE Paint .png is not even a standard.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  6. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

You can also reduce the size of the PNG with setting the number of colors.
    I mostly use 8 bits (256 colors) for the PNG.

Greetings,
    Bertus

7. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    For B&W I use .gif, which is clean. It tends to mess colors up though. .png isn't perfect either (some of my article have color drift if I used the forum to store the picture), but it is the best of the batch.

.jpg is just nasty, it tends to fuzz out the clean lines, and is highly unrecommended for this site.

8. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    They can all be perfect or all be fuzzy just depending on how your rendering them. jpg is the best for quality vs size, if properly set up you should not loose any quality. Then you have gif's and png's. gifs tend to be a bit smaller then png's for the same quality. But png's have much better transparancy then gifs. But as said for a pngs to have the same quality as a jpeg its going to be huge. Then you have TIFF's and BMP's both which are absolutly huge and to be avoided if at all possible. Honestly for schematics I would use a pdf and retain the vectors for quality.

9. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I can show extremely simple .jpg files (B&W) that show the fuzz, for pictures they are OK, but they are not usable for schematics or any other image where precision is a must. Both .png and .gif are not fuzzy, where .gif files fail is with color specifically, .png can have color distortion but it is greatly reduced. I suspect .png cause a lot less distortion in all cases. For perfect pictures .bmp are best, because they have no compression, this is why they are so huge, but they also have no artifacts from modifying the data.

You can not display .pdf on this forum, it has to be opened with a reader. This might change eventually, but I don't see any sign this will happen any time soon.

I've been doing this a while, learned a lot the hard way. I can show examples in all cases what I'm talking about.

There is another standard out there, which is what the basic AAC book uses. I don't use it myself, but it revolves around a program called XCircuit, which is available in Windows and Linux format. It is a vector graphics approach too. I don't have the file associations handy, since I don't use the software. It translates into .pdf fairly easily from what I understand.