Probleam in distance measurement using ultrasonic sensor

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by Ronak Vyas, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Ronak Vyas

Thread Starter New Member

May 15, 2012
    Hello Friends
    I want to measure distance of an object from sensor, I am using ultrasonic sansor HC-SR04, due to uneven surface of an object(bottle in my case) I am not getting accurate result, anyone has any idea about the beam angle of an ultrasonic sensor, is there any other ultrasonic sensor available which has narrow beam angle compare to HC-SR04, if anyone knows about it please help me
    Thanks.

2. ericgibbs

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 29, 2010
    hi RV,
    This is the sensor datasheet and a warning note.
    E

3. Ronak Vyas

May 15, 2012
    Thanks Eric
    I want to use the ultrasonic sensor for my application do u know any other sensor which has narrow beam compare to HCSR04 so that the range of measurement area can be small.

4. ericgibbs

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 29, 2010
  5. Ronak Vyas

May 15, 2012
    Thank u very much for the link.
    I want to measure the distance from 4cm to 100cm.
    Is there any problem to consider the higher frequency?
    SRF235 is too much costly is there any other low cost solution?

6. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    As pointed out by Eric, higher frequencies give a narrower target, but have less range. I have used a sensor that operated at 500 kHz and had a range of only 50 mm. But then, its target size was quite small too. It was made by HydePark, which is now owned by Schneider (http://stevenengineering.com/Tech_Support/PDFs/45HYDEPARK.pdf).
    You just need to search though the many options and pick a sensor with both the range of distances and target size you need.

The idea of focusing or collimating the ultrasonic beam may seem attractive, but can be difficult to implement. See this discussion:http://electronics.stackexchange.co...m-proximity-sensor-hc-sr04-in-measurng-distan

John

7. Ronak Vyas

May 15, 2012
    Thanks John
    So if I am using the ultrasonic sensor with higher centre frequency can I measure the distance of bottle (curved object) from sensor correctly?

8. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Not necessarily. Sound reflects and finds multiple paths back to the sensor and can, at any particular point in 3D space, give you come unexpected results. Imagine a case of bottles, lots of reflection opportunities.

One improvement is to put a tube (wave guide) on the output and receive cylinder on the HC-04.

9. Ronak Vyas

May 15, 2012
    how can I put a tube , should this use at both transmitter and receiver side ?have u explore this thing ?please guide me to do this thing
    Thanks