Private board etching?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Robin Mitchell, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Robin Mitchell

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Would anyone here etch boards for me?
    Pleeeeaaassseee.....

Dont mind paying as long as its not as much as those sodding companies!
    :rolleyes:

2. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    How many do you need? and can you post the layout?

3. Robin Mitchell

Oct 25, 2009
    well, quite a few diffrent boards with small traces. However i think the boards will end up being not too big :)

Layouts, well here is one:

[​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Also, if you want i could mail you the circuit board layouts on laser printer paper. That way you could use the toner method...
    And if you want the eagle file i have it :p

4. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    What is the actual size?

5. Robin Mitchell

Oct 25, 2009
    they vary, around 3.5 inches by 4.5 inches.
    However the Controller could be bigger

6. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Do you have access to a laser printer? It is one of those things you can do yourself.

7. Robin Mitchell

Oct 25, 2009
    Unlike you bill i have a mother....:D
    She says NO CHEMICALS!!!

8. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Does it pass DRC? What are your trace widths? What clearances do you allow? There are some pretty close traces and pads. Do you need plated through holes for your vias, or are you willing to use bare wire as a workaround? What weight copper do you need? Do you need a solder mask and artwork?

That will not be an easy board for a DIY. Most important, what are you willing to pay and will such payment be contingent on the board working? How will you make the payment, before starting the work or do you want it to be COD? Will your mother let you pay for it?

Bottom line, I think you are better off running ERC and DRC until it is error free. Then get it done by a commercial board house.

John

9. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    When you are dealing with prototype designs that may need a series of changes before a final design is arrived at, you would be ahead to use the assembly technique called wire wrap - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wire_wrap

10. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    Trust me, the toner transfer method isn't as easy as most web pages lead you to believe and it's a lot of work that can easily become frustrating. You find a particular paper and toner that work well, next thing you know the manufacturer has changed the paper or toner on you. I've got a couple I need to do today (SMD RF boards don't prototype) so having a good print in hand I'm going to Kinkos and going to have them make copies on a number of different papers in hopes one will work.

I was doing fine until Staples changed their basis glossy photo paper. Finally found another paper that worked then not long afterwards the printer I've been using at work to get nice, heavy coverage (Savin with factory Savin toner) stopped working the way it used to, apprently they changed their factory toner.

I'm about >< this far from dragging my old B&W darkroom equipment back out.

11. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    For your paper trials, make sure you also advertising or magazine pages to the list of things to try. By advertising paper I mean the glossy adds like Kohl's or Sears that the put in the Sunday newspaper, like a mini catalog.

People think that because it already has printing on it and is basically free, that it can't work. But it has the right surface to hold and release the toner, for transfer to the board.

12. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    See post #7.

John

13. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009

Pardon me...I wasn't thinking right...
    A real mother....that will make things difficult. we are in the same boat :D

14. Robin Mitchell

Oct 25, 2009
    Ooops, i meat as in i live with my mother....awkward...

15. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    Kinko's won't print on it and neither of my home laser printers will work. One has magnetic toner, the other doesn't print thick enough regardless of where it's set.

Doesn't matter, I've got a theoretically simple math problem I can't get to solve, I think my brain is wanting the weekend off.