Prius for sale.

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by strantor, May 3, 2015.

1. strantor

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
  2. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Why are you selling it?
  3. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009
    Are the rest of the familiy also moving? Or are you just renting a small flat and start to commute?

My brother in law is commuting. He and my sister lives in one of the best summer cities in Norway. His company office is in Oslo. So he drives to work every Monday, and returns on Thursday nights. He's been doing it for years.
  4. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
  5. strantor

Oct 3, 2010
    "Im movin' to the country, gonna eat me a lot peaches..."

I'm tired of driving 90mi (45+45) per day for work. I'm also tired of living in the city. Also tired of not having a truck.
    So I bought a truck, and I'm moving closer to work, but out into the country.

I've been driving the truck the past couple months just coax out any gremlins that might be lurking in it, an so far none have shown up. So the truck is dependable in my book, and it's safe to sell the trusty Prius.
    I need money to move and being closer to work, the gasoline bill won't be as much of a concern. So I figured I'd sell this car that I'm not using.
  6. strantor

Oct 3, 2010
    Unfortunately yes, It's the best time ever to sell a truck (worst time ever to buy one) and the worst time ever to sell a hybrid (best time ever to buy one).
    I had a thread on here a while back about it. I could not believe what people were asking for trucks. It's crazy! I lucked out and got a "good deal."
    And now I'm throwing myself at the other side of the coin, a double whammy.
    I guess I just enjoy throwing all my hard-earned money in the fire. Glutton for punishment.
  7. strantor

Oct 3, 2010
    No nothing that extreme for me. I drive straight through the center of Houston every morning and afternoon, and it only takes me 45-60min to get to work, and 1:00 to 1:15 to get home. Ordinarily it would take 2+hours sitting in traffic both ways, but I don't fancy spending that much of my life cussing at rush hour commuters so I leave the house @5am and I leave work @3:30PM to avoid rush hour, and I take every toll road available. Tolls are killing me, like $150+/month.
  8. tindel

Sep 16, 2012
    I've driven through h town the last 2 days and have 2 more days to commute through that miserable city. Sooooooooo glad i don't live there anymore.
  9. strantor

Oct 3, 2010
    Lol you stop by and check this manly sports prius. You could be home in no time driving that!
  10. strantor

Oct 3, 2010
    Update: I sold the Prius yesterday. $10,750.

Good to be past it, but damn, what a hole in head!
    I just paid it off in December; payoff amount was $18,875. I financed it for $23K @ 11.25%APR, 6 yrs. That was the best interest rate I could get with a bankruptcy on my credit report.
    I paid it off after only 16 months.
    I drove it for 16 months and only put a $4k dent in it. 5 months after paying it off I sold it, having put 40K miles on it (had 36k when I bought it, 76k when sold).
    So let's break down how much money I just threw in the trash...
    16mos @ $438/mo = $7,008, of which only $4125 went to principle. That's $2883 WASTED.
    I bought it for $23,000 and sold it for $10,750. That's $12,250 WASTED.
    I paid an extra $100/mo for full coverage because it was financed. *21 months = $2,100 WASTED.
    I bought accessories for it which I gave to the buyer, that's $800 WASTED.

Unless I'm missing another leak in the bucket, that's $18,033 total WASTED.
    But, you might say it wasn't wasted since I was getting use out of it while I had it. I'll entertain that...
    Considering I had it 21 months, I "PAID" $858/month for the privilege of driving this car while I had it. That's not including gas, tolls, or maintenance.
    I could have gotten a better deal by RENTING a car from Hertz for 2 years. At least then maintenance would have been free.

rental cars.png

And just to rub a little salt in the wound, this toll crap went south
    On 4/25 I moved some money around in my accounts and left one of them almost empty. Shouldn't have been a problem since no bills are set to auto-pay from that account, so I thought.
    Turns out I set my toll company auto-rebill on that account. The next day they tried to top-up my toll balance and the transaction failed.
    They sent me a notification email, but I had set a sorting rule in my inbox to send emails from the toll company to a "receipts" folder since I was getting several "transaction successful" emails per week. I never go into the receipts folder unless it's tax time and I'm looking for a receipt.
    There was one more unsuccessful attempt the next day, and then they automatically suspended my account.
    From then on, for each of those 6-7 toll booths that I drive through daily, they were charging me an $11 fine.
    I didn't find out about it until 2 weeks later when the first of a series of "violation invoices" appeared in my mail box, with a picture of my license plate.
    I logged in to my toll account and found >$300 worth of fines, which I paid. But my account was still suspended.
    The next day, there were more fines.
    and the next day, more, and more, ...and they keep showing up, even though I've steered clear of the toll roads for days now. The fines are randomly scattered among the days that I was driving with a suspended toll tag.
    I'm up $659 now, and had to start a spreadsheet to keep track of all the fines. As far as I can tell, there's probably about $25 worth of fines still floating in the ether, waiting for some random amount of time to post to my account, so that I can finally resolve this issue.
    toll violations.png

The buyer of my car can't get his toll tag because the car is still assigned to my account, which is in default. I can't take the car off my account because my account management privileges are suspended, because I'm in default. I can't get out of default because they haven't posted the invoices for my violations. So him and I are both stuck sitting in traffic hours per day and I'm out probably $700 because of this.

This week is devoid of awesomeness. Anyway, moving on, now that I have enough money for a down payment on a house, the bank will talk to me. And if a bank talks to me, maybe a realtor will talk to me. And if a realtor will talk to me, maybe I can get a house closer to work where I don't have to worry about needing (or not needing) a Prius or a toll tag.
  11. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Boy, you have my sympathies. The fines are crazy -- almost a factor of ten over what the tolls are. We don't have many toll roads here (only one that I can think of) but when you drive on it you get billed based on license plate capture for the full toll and if you have a toll transponder that you pay a monthly amount for then you get a reduced rate on the toll. I much preferred the toll booths that you had to throw coins at but that was only in terms of privacy and security, even I admit that the current system is enormously more convenient.
    strantor likes this.
  12. neonharp

May 10, 2015
    I drive an 11 year old Chevy Cavalier I paid about $ 4,500 for it years ago , it has been a reliable car , 34mpg , 149,000 miles on it now , no problems , just reasonable care and normal maintenance . I like the " easy payment plan " I drew the money out of savings , and handed the car dealer cash . One payment , it doesn't get any easier than that !! Anyway , I don't need to carry full coverage insurance , just liability and comprehensive . The same goes for my 2 vans , real estate , and Harley motorcycle . The trick is to save your money , and not get sucked into a car payment or mortgage or whatever , where you are struggling along with monkeys on your back and making the bankers rich !
  13. gerty

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 30, 2007
    Da@#$m I love living in the country!! ...I couldn't tell you where the nearest toll road is....
  14. Papabravo

Feb 24, 2006
    The Ohio Turnpike. $10.50 from Toledo to Youngstown; such a bargain!