Print toner transfer please

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Robin Mitchell, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Robin Mitchell

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Hi everyone...

If i sent someone some PCB layouts could they print them off onto photopaper that they know works with the toner transfer method...just let me know of the cost..uk

Robin

2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Huh?

Wouldn't it be better to send PCB stock and the images?

Why dictate intermediate materials such as photopaper? An electronic image is perfect, first time.

3. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009
    What are the dimensions?
    Which format is the PCB layout file? (PDF? ExpressPCB? Eagle?)
    Double-sided?

4. Robin Mitchell

Oct 25, 2009
    PDF
    Double sided
    About 9 by 5 inches

Maybe someone could iron the transfer onto a double sided board...i would handel the rest (etching etc)

5. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Suggestion, don't try to do transfers through the mail. Let the person doing it do the etching, the final result (an etched undrilled board) is not easy to damage. From the moment the transfer is printed it is delicate, easy to scratch the delicate toner off casually.

If I had successfully done double sided stuff I'd offer, but it is still in the experimental phase for me.

6. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009
    It's a little to big for my current setup.

I can go 100mm x 160mm (3.9in x 6.3in)

If you can shrink it to that, I'll give it a try.

Agreed!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  7. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009
    How did this work out for you?

Got your PCB's?

8. tom66

May 9, 2009
    How much are you willing to pay?

I get 10 PCBs made for ~£13 (total incl. shipping) in China, that's £1.30/each. PCBs must be 5cm x 5cm or smaller. ~£28 to get 10cm x 10cm. They take three to four weeks to arrive though, so not suitable for urgent projects.

I can vouch for their quality (I have used them many times.) They can be 2 layer, with green solder mask, fully drilled and plated holes/vias, as well as silkscreen on both sides.

seeedstudio.com do this, but I'm sure there are other potentially cheaper suppliers - I just use them the most. Make sure to ask for 10 or they'll only send you one.

9. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    He's wanting one about the size of a sheet of paper, 9"X5" (paper is 11"X8½"). Kinda oversized for what you're talking about. I figure the board stock is around $4, give or take, and the rest of the materials about $3 (consumables), so it isn't nearly as expensive as what you suggest. There is a reason people make their own PCBs, it is much cheaper.

Mitch, if you want I'll make you transfers, but there is a significant learning curve involved. I screwed up a lot of boards before I had my process down. The laminator was the big deal for me. But if you want them I'll print them. What Tom is suggesting would work first time, but it is very expensive. Could you put up a .gif or .png file so we could take a look at what your wanting to do? The other side of DIY is the precision isn't as tight as commercial, it is one of the reasons many people use photographic techniques.

Having said that a PCB (if it is correct, another thing that can bite you) is much easier to assemble that a breadboard version. Repeatable too.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  10. Robin Mitchell

Oct 25, 2009
    never mind i have turned to photo etch PCB (with the UV lamp). Kevin at school develops the board and i etch :p

11. tom66

May 9, 2009
    Apples to pears. You get 10 boards, each have two-sided silkscreen, 2 layers of copper with green soldermask, properly plated vias of any size (down to 12 mil) and I recently discovered you can order non-rectangular boards.

12. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Except you made the comparison first. The rest is simple math and money. Multiple boards (most of which would not be needed, and his board is much larger than what you mentioned) for $100+ vs. $7 or less for a simple prototype. Mitch (and many of our other users) are not businesses and don't need expensive industrial quantities. There are times it is appropriate, but this wasn't one of them.

There is a reason DIY PCBs exist. If you don't like them that is OK, but be aware of the cost differences.

13. tom66

May 9, 2009
    I do understand there is a difference, but I was just pointing it out. The US currencies' ratio 1:1.6 is very favourable for me. Anyway, every man to themselves.