prerequisite for "Principles of Electronic Communication Systems-Louis E. Frenzel" ?

lse123

Joined Oct 17, 2006
What prerequisite courses (and textbooks~) has the "Principles of Electronic Communication Systems - Louis E. Frenzel - McGraw-Hill" ?
If I read Malvino "Electronics Principles" can read this ?

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
A rudimentary understanding of basic electronic theory (Volumes I and II at this site are a good starting base). And obviously a good grasp of 1st/2nd year university mathematics (linera lagebra, calculus, Fourier transforms etc). The communication principles are introduced throughout so little knowledge in this field is require apriori.

Dave

lse123

Joined Oct 17, 2006
what about : Digital Electronics: Principles and Applications, 7/e Roger L. Tokheim ... What prerequisite courses (and textbooks~) has this ?

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
what about : Digital Electronics: Principles and Applications, 7/e Roger L. Tokheim ... What prerequisite courses (and textbooks~) has this ?
A course in basic DC circuits and general mathematics. Volume I and IV on this site would be more than sufficient. Its pitched at 1st year 2nd semester students.

Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
You mean read first Volume I and IV and after the book ?
If you have an appreciation of the content in Volumes I and IV then you will be more than ready to tackle this book. If you have an education that has dealt with the basics of DC circuits theory and digital circuits then you should have enough basis to start reading the Tokheim book. It may be an idea to read Volumes I and IV alongside the Tokheim book - when you come across a concept you are unfamiliar with then you can delve into the e-book to clarify your understanding.

Dave

lse123

Joined Oct 17, 2006
Principles of Electronic Communication Systems - Louis E. Frenzel - McGraw-Hill
Digital Electronics: Principles and Applications, 7/e Roger L. Tokheim - McGraw-Hill

I buy these two texts, what I must read first with a background in general analog electronics ?

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
I don't know if what I do would work for everyone, but here it is just in case: I just dive into the book. If I do get into a section where I am mired down, then I set the book aside and begin seeking the knowledge needed to get through.

For example, when reading Farret & Simoes Integration of Alternative Sources of Energy recently, I had to stop at chapter 8 until I got a little more chemistry and biology under my belt. I also got stuck on some of the math in chapter 12 and found help from Papabravo and others here on this forum.

I do this with metallurgy texts and art textbooks as well. :cool:

Another trick I use helps me accurately guess whether a book will be one I can understand: I go carefully through the table of contents. If I find something which might be over my head, I skim briefly through a few pages of that chapter to gage the challenge it will present. A recent example is a book on heat transfer I was browsing at Powell's - I put it back on the shelf after seeing Nth-order differential equations & decided to simply use the biggest heat-sinks I could fit on the board. :rolleyes: Obviously, this trick is far more useful in the library or bookstore than online.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I buy these two texts, what I must read first with a background in general analog electronics ?
It is difficult to make an appropriate suggestion since we don't know your academic background or prior learning. You will need a basic level of mathematics, check the Maths chapters in Volume V for what would be an appropriate level. Volume I is the basic electronics level, and Volume IV would be beneficial for the Tokheim book.

As thingmaker3 suggests, diving into the book is probably the best option provided you have a rudimentary understanding of electronics and communications engineering. It is often best to to read something acknowledging that you may not understanding it all. When you come across something you don't understand you can either look in another book or look on the web. If there is anything you don't understand, just post up here in the forums and someone may/will understand and be able to explain it to you.

Dave

lse123

Joined Oct 17, 2006
background: MALVINO Electronics Principles 6th /E full read
Digital Electronics: Principles and Applications, 7/e Roger L. Tokheim - McGraw-Hill

I buy these two texts, what I must read first with a background in general analog electronics (MALVINO) ?

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
background: MALVINO Electronics Principles 6th /E full read

I buy these two texts, what I must read first with a background in general analog electronics (MALVINO) ?
Although reading Malvino is no bad thing, there is nothing specifically in that text that you would absolutely need to know before tackling Frenzel and Tokheim. Use Volume I as you guide for what you absolutely need to know. Then adopt the approach outlined by thingmaker3 where you look up concepts, circuits and components as you come across them.

Also have a look at Malvino's website accompanying his book: http://www.malvino.com/ep/

Dave

lse123

Joined Oct 17, 2006
You mean I want only dc/ac circuits for both texts only ?
After
MALVINO Electronics Principles 6th /E full read
what courses/texts are more appropriate ?

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
You mean I want only dc/ac circuits for both texts only ?
After
MALVINO Electronics Principles 6th /E full read
what courses/texts are more appropriate ?
Browse Volume I here at AAC, and then pick one of the books and go for it. A basic understanding of the concepts (voltage, current, Ohm's Law etc) is required. Everything you need to know will be developed in the book, and for anything you have a question about, just use the forums here.

Dave

lse123

Joined Oct 17, 2006
I just start reading(at same time):
with:
background: MALVINO Electronics Principles 6th /E - McGraw-Hill full read
but I am of opinion of reading FIRST all:
am I wrong, or NOT ? What is the best ?