PowerSupply ??

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
What configuration do you intend for the dual output, 2 separate supplies or - 0 + etc?
You can either wind on or take off windings as needed within the Va rating of the TXMR.
Max.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
What configuration do you intend for the dual output, 2 separate supplies or - 0 + etc?
You can either wind on or take off windings as needed within the Va rating of the TXMR.
Max.
My plan was to take a single tap transmforer and split the output in order to make a dual output power supply using only positive voltage ..

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You can use a center tap transformer to make two half-wave supplies,
one full-wave supply, or a positive full-wave and negative full-wave supply.

Note that in all cases the supplies are electrically connected and hence share a common reference point. In other words, they are not independently floating nor isolated supplies.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
What voltages?
Both isolated supplies?
It looks as though that is just a single 24v secondary, so you will either have to modify the existing or add a winding or both.
That must be physically quite small for 48va?
Max.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
My plan was to take a single tap transmforer and split the output in order to make a dual output power supply using only positive voltage ..
You need a center-tap transformer to make a true dual voltage supply. You could use a circuit to generate a "pseudo-ground" at the 1/2 voltage point of the single voltage output but that's normally only done for low currents, such as for an op amp audio circuit. It's very wasteful of power at any significant unbalanced current levels between the two voltages.

bance

Joined Aug 11, 2012
Also I think I'm correct in saying that, since you would have two separate isolated secondaries.. 0-24V & 0-24V it gives you the flexibility to connect them at the output to create a -24 -0- +24 supply.
Not sure how the current would be affected though...?

k7elp60

Joined Nov 4, 2008
To answer your question about meters for the voltage and current. I prefer digital as they are so inexpensive. Be careful as some require a separate power supply for the meter.

russ_hensel

Joined Jan 11, 2009
You need a center-tap transformer to make a true dual voltage supply. You could use a circuit to generate a "pseudo-ground" at the 1/2 voltage point of the single voltage output but that's normally only done for low currents, such as for an op amp audio circuit. It's very wasteful of power at any significant unbalanced current levels between the two voltages.
Could you clarify, I thought I could make a dual supply, each side being 1/2 wave.