Powersupply for Raspberry Pi

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
I think there are a lot of dc-dc converters on eBay. Easily handle 2-3 amp. Even come in with a USB port. And they will be less expensive than making your own.

But if you really want to make your own, then go for it!! :)

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Jens, did you switched to SMD diodes

By the way the latest PCB layout is the way I place the decoupling caps.
Nice Job.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
I think there are a lot of dc-dc converters on eBay. Easily handle 2-3 amp. Even come in with a USB port. And they will be less expensive than making your own.

But if you really want to make your own, then go for it!! :)
I know, but I need it on Tuesday.

Jens, did you switched to SMD diodes

By the way the latest PCB layout is the way I place the decoupling caps.
Nice Job.
Yes, I found 98pcs in a drawer, so I firgured I could use them.

Thanks!

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Here's the final product. Working perfect. (or at least close to it, I hope:D)

DSC_0434_800.JPG DSC_0435_800.JPG DSC_0436_800.JPG DSC_0437_800.JPG DSC_0433_800.JPG

When I was ironing the graphics, the paper came a little bit off center of the PCB, that's why there's a border around half of the PCB.

Now I need to make an enclosure for it.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Looks nice. Thanks for the pics. I'm not quite understanding the backside. It looks as if the solder blobs run over onto the copper plane. Since it's working, that must not be true. The clearances must be pretty small?

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Looks nice. Thanks for the pics. I'm not quite understanding the backside. It looks as if the solder blobs run over onto the copper plane. Since it's working, that must not be true. The clearances must be pretty small?
Thanks. While soldering I came to think of when was the last time I soldered components on a PCB. I couldn't remember. My solderingskills seems to fade away. I hope the skills will return.

Clearance is set to 0.4mm and the trace width is the same. One time I thought of getting the traces fatter, but that slipped somewhere in the process.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Having a closed box as you show will give problems with the heat produced.
The heatsink can not get rid of the heat and will get warmer and warmer.

Bertus