Powersupply for Raspberry Pi

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Hi.

I'm working on some Raspberry Pi ideas, and I've made a schematic of what I think might work as a powersupply.

I'm planning on using a 12v 5.0Ah or a 12v 33Ah battery.

Rpi_sch.png Rpi_brd.png

I'm not quite sure about the powerpins on the USB part.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
What is wrong with using almost any 5V mobile phone charger? Or the supply that came with the Pi?

My supply - from CanaKit (Pi Kit supplier) is 1 amp at 5.1 volts but 0.5 amp works if you are only using a mouse and Keyboard as USB input devices.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
If you're planning on drawing 1A from the 5V supply then the regulator would have to dissipate 7W. It would need a LARGE heatsink. Your circuit board doesn't seem to make allowance for any heatsink. The 1N4004 will be running at its rated maximum; not good practice.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
If you're planning on drawing 1A from the 5V supply then the regulator would have to dissipate 7W. It would need a LARGE heatsink. Your circuit board doesn't seem to make allowance for any heatsink. The 1N4004 will be running at its rated maximum; not good practice.
I read somwhere that is uses something between 500-800mA. Adding a heatsink, will not be any problem. Of course that mA is dependent on what I'm hooking up to it. For now, its only that Pi Cam.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
DO NOT POWER UP WITHOUT CONFIRMING USB PIN LAYOUT.
Do some research on Pi. I do not eat any RPi :p so I cannot confirm

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
OK, so I'll make room for a heatsink. How about the USB connection. Have I managed to read the datasheet right? Regarding the +5vdc and gnd?

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I thought Pi Data...sorry.
Jen, I am at home so I cannot confirm with DVM as the USB power connections reverses depending on USB port orientation.
The Data you posted is the same type used on the laptop I am on right now. So I am not going to say you are right cause I am just not sure your USB PCB jack is a reversed pin one or the common types used.
I can test tomorrow with the DVM at work shop if you like but I need to see a picture of the USB jack u planned to use

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Yes, well that's a truth with modifications. A PC USB cannot deliver enought AMPS. Oh, well perhaps the 3.0 standard can. My plan was to connect it to a battery, 12v, and run the power through some caps and a LM7805 and som caps again. Right now I'm using an old cellphone charger with 700Ma ratings on it.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
OK then, I will confirm tomorrow with the DVM. Compare your jack to that of a PC or charger.
Till then ta ta...!

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
One more thing.
I normally use a 100nf and a 10uf at input and output of the 7805 for decoupling.
Adding a 10uf might be good. The decoupling caps should be as close as possible to the 7805. The 100uf can be used at output only as you are using a battery as the source.
Bring the 100nf close to the Regs at Input and output (like as close to 7805 pins). Then place the 10uf. And if you prefer you can add a 100uf at the USB Port pins and the cathode pin of the protection diode.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Crap...I forgot. Do add a 1 Amp fuse before the Diode. A fast acting one.
Remember you are gonna using a Battery which can burn the Regulator with a smile

I guess you need to re arrange the PCB layout to add a Heatsink. Cause @700mA, the 7805 will get hot to touch u know.