Powering multiple devices

philuk2000

Joined Jun 20, 2014
Hi All,

My power supply for my router has blown up so i'm looking to replace it. Before I do I would like to know if the following is possible:

I have 4 devices that all require 12v input but with differing ampages.

Device1: 1amp
Device2: 1amp
Device3: 1amp
Device4: 2amp

Would a single 12v 5amp power supply be able to power all 4 devices or does each device require a dedicated 12v?

Best regards

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
A single power supply "should" be sufficient however personally I would go 125% or more over the calculated max current rating of the sum of all devices just as a safety precaution.

Its never a good idea to run a power supply at 100% all the time..

philuk2000

Joined Jun 20, 2014
A single power supply "should" be sufficient however personally I would go 125% or more over the calculated max current rating of the sum of all devices just as a safety precaution.

Its never a good idea to run a power supply at 100% all the time..
Excellent... so I am understanding it correctly then, if I got a 6.5amp 12v power supply that would be more than sufficient overhead, is that correct?

(Please excuse my ignorance in advance :D)

Last edited:

philuk2000

Joined Jun 20, 2014
if you want 12V @ 10amps use an old atx psu,plenty of amps there.
Good idea, I have actually got a 850W boxed corsair psu thats doing nothing. I'd need to connect it up to one of these thos to power my 4 devices.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CCTV-4-wa...-/180878779322?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item2a1d3723ba

This is going a bit off from my original idea lol but I guess it's doable - although i'm not the best when it comes to wiring things up.

I just found this molex to 6.5mm converter - I need a 2.1mm converter (or is that just outter size)!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Phobya-20...uting_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item5d464b9239

Scrap that - wrong connection, I'll have to make one myself.

Last edited:

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Everything you have said will work. But...

If something inside your router fails, there is a big difference between having a power source limited to only 12 W and one able to supply 84 W (plus margin, closer to 100 W). Consider adding an inline fuse for each breakout. Any voltage rating will work.

ak