powering an amplifier light with 9 volt dc

sim84

Joined Dec 11, 2014
i'm not sure. will that make what i'm trying to do easier? it's supposed to have the vibe of a fender tube amp, the pilot light assembly is like this:fender pilot light.jpg

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
these pilot lights are still being made in Taiwan, quite expensive as the shipping isnt free and they take considerable efforts for wrapping and have larger volume.

They have E10 screw sockets inside, could be used for low voltage too.

The diamond cover and the chrome plated bezel might be interchangeable between these. Moreover you can get LEDs with E10 socket. Not sure about bajonett, its still available here for 240v bulbs, but less common, I think in the process of being phased out.

the best would be a neon light, its very retro, maybe you can hack the bulb, remove the resistor, or make one from a regular bulb and a plain green neon bulb. Otherwise you need to power it with full voltage.

Attachments

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
if you look closer, I think the blue pilot light bezel is real chrome plated metal, not plastic.

Plastic has a copper coating, after some years, the chrome will come off, the copper will oxydize. I saw it on my CASIO watch- plastic with a copper layer, then chrome plated.

Last edited:

sim84

Joined Dec 11, 2014
thanks! found the pilot lamp holders, but can't work out which bulbs go with it. none of the t10 bulbs in their ebay store say 240v...