powering a reverse/forward motor

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by cjphelps, Aug 23, 2008.

1. cjphelps

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Hello,

I have a single phase motor(230V) that can be made to forward/reverse by wiring according to this information:

CCW:
    L1 --------------- P1
    L2 --------------- T4 -T5
    T2-T3-T8
    P2

CW:
    L1 --------------- P1
    L2 --------------- T4 -T8
    T2-T3-T5
    P2

How would I wire this with a 3 conductor wire to the motor and a reversing contactor?

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    A double pole double throw contactor that swaps T5 & T8 will do it. Hint - attach T5 to one moving contact and T8 to the other. Draw it out on paper, should be easy.

3. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Hint #2: Have the switch "center off." You want to be able to let the (single phase) motor stop before reversing it.

John

Edit: Oops. That may not work so simply. The message is that your reversing switch should only be changed when the motor is stopped. You need an on/off switch as well. I use either an interlocking switch (you can't hit forward without going through stop), a drum switch for reversing (same principle), or separate on/off and reversing switches. The latter is OK, if you don't have too many bozos working it.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  4. cjphelps

Aug 21, 2008
    Hi John,

Yes We have a interlock switch.

What do you mean by center off?

5. thingmaker3

Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
    "Center Off" is an on-off-on switch. In your case it will be wired as forward-off-reverse.

6. cjphelps

Aug 21, 2008
    Gotcha,

We were given a Allen bradley reversing starter for reversing the AC motor. It is basically 2 contactors side by side connected through a interlock switch.

I am having trouble finding a wiring example for using such a device. any suggestions?

7. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Do you have a part number/model number for your Allen-Bradley reversing starter?