Powering a Rail Gun

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by samixon, Jul 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samixon

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 14, 2010
    My friend and I are thinking about building a rail gun, and after doing some research I have some ideas for how we're going to power it, but I definitely need some input/guidance.
    As of now I'm planning on using a capacitor bank to power it, but I'm not completely sure of how I'm going to charge it. Currently I'm planning on plugging into a standard 120VAC wall outlet and running that through a rectifier. If I'm not mistaken, that should achieve about 85VDC.
    I'm planning applying that over a 1F capacitor bank. Assuming that it is fully charged and takes 2ms to discharge, I'd ideally have a 42.7kA current to run through the rails.
    If I've made any mistakes please let me know, otherwise I'm wondering if I should actually be able to start with these ideal values or if I'll have significant losses when I charge up the bank.
    Any other (relevant) comments, criticism, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

Sorry, we do not support your request.

Bertus

3. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

I got this in an e-mail:

This is a family forum, we get people of all ages (from 8 to 88) and experience levels (from real beginners to experts).
    We like to keep the things safe over here.

As answer to this I would ask you to read this thread:
    Things that close your thread

Bertus

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.