Powering a PC heatsink in a PS2?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Spgkr, May 10, 2008.

1. Spgkr

Thread Starter New Member

May 5, 2008
    This isn't anything i'm going to do any time soon, as i'm just getting into electronics and am going to experiment on my old guitar tuner before I start risking my consoles...Anyway,

My Playstation 2 is not long for this world. So i'm thinking of buying a slim one. There's alot of talk, though, about slim's overheating. This isn't good for the console and i'd rather take better care of a £90 machine than I have done with my current.

So I was wondering - Could I use a PC Heatsink or water cooling system in my PS2? Is this possible? Obviously the PS2 isn't designed for use with PC components, but I was thinking a watercooled system would have a much lower risk of overheating. In any case, how would I go about this insane project?

Edit :: How would this compare with a heatsink? 3000 RPM http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-Cooler-He...ryZ96915QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Edit :: I just had a much better idea - Is it possible to mod a normal PC case fan to be powered by USB? I'm looking for some info on it at the moment but not having much luck.

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    There is another approach, one that I've used on a modem for my BBS that burned up once (replaced it with an identical unit). I laid a large heat sink on top of the modem whose footprint was approximately the same size, then set up a small conventional fan (a people fan if you will) to draw air through the heat sink. This "sucks" the heat out of the modem, problem solved, with no intrusive surgery on the case. Generally if you give the heat somewhere to go you are ahead in the game, so look for what side gets hotter. You can also keep a warranty intact with my method.

In extreme cases you can use two heat sinks, one on top and one on bottom.
  3. nigelwright7557

May 10, 2008
    You can buy Laptop PC coolers that would do the job.

My advice would be to simply not lay the PS2 on a carpet but on something that lets air flow around it.