powering a breadboard through a wall power adaptor

theshockingelectrician

Joined Jan 18, 2013
Hi all, I haven't touched electronics since some basic EE classes I took in undergrad many years ago. I decided to hop back in and try a few things. I'd like to build some circuits either using a breadboard or soldering onto a perf board, but I don't want to invest in a test bench power supply. Can I just use a common wall adapter that you might use to power a router like this: http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-AF1205-B-Power-Adapter-120V/dp/B004WAUX4W/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_7 If so, what precautions should I take? what parts do I need to connect the adapter to my breadboard or perf board? I'm sure I need the female end of the connector but I don't know what it's called or where to start looking. Thanks!

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
You will need a walwart and some kind of regulator like maybe the 7805. If you are from the US, you can find those connectors at radio shack.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
You can also order or find a wall wart that has a built in regulator. Look at Jameco and you will see an assortment of wall warts that are not regulated, and another group that are regulated. Part number 309876, for example.