Powered Handcycles Help

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by majypoo, Dec 8, 2011.

1. majypoo

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Hi people, I am in a wheelchair and have been looking at options to get out the house more and need some help. To do this I want one of these but the price is ridiculous http://www.teamhybrid.co.uk/handcycles/powered/viper.htm and I just paid out £2k on a new manual wheelchair. The adaptation isn't that complicated looking at it so I was thinking of trying to make one myself, I should be able to design the frame of the powered handcycle and get it built in carbon fibre hopefully. However I ain't sure how I would go about doing the electronics side of it, I am guessing you would need a special front wheel with an electric motor/battery combo. Is there anything any of you people can recommend in getting one of these made for myself? The battery would have to last around 12+ miles per charge and be pretty light. Maybe a small screen to tell me how much power is left to if possible. A friend on another forum recommended you guys for help :)

2. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    I think you would need:
    A. the front end of a bike, with a heavy duty fork
    B. a brushless e-bike hubmotor
    C. a brushless motor controller
    D. a bunch of LiPo or LiFePo4 batteries

There is a forum called www.endless-sphere.com/forums . This is all they do on that forum is make e-bikes, and talk about making e-bikes, all day. they can make you a good recommendation for specific motor/controller/battery combinations that I cannot. this should be much cheaper than £2800. for reference, check out the top-of-the-line motor & controller combo (349 + 349$) on this website. The website looks a bit bland, but the guy is a genius in electronics, not webmastery; I have read nothing but good reviews on his controllers. if you can get the motor & controller combo for 700$ & spend 300$ on the batteries; you would have a freeway speed capable wheelchair. Not enouraging you to do this, just pointing out what can be had for the money.

majypoo likes this.
  3. majypoo

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Thanks great, thanks for the help. I'll check out that other forum :)

4. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    I saw this thing called the Flyrad on the gadget show:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4geoiM9h8Tc
    It seems like it would be pretty easy to modify, but unfortunately I can't seem to find where it is available or how much it is.

5. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007