Power window circuit breaker

Jaguarjoe

Joined Apr 7, 2010
I searched and searched, I asked on auto forums but I'm still not getting a good answer:

Why are power window circuits protected with a circuit breaker instead of a fuse like the rest of the car? From what I saw during my search, many other manufacturers do the same thing.

Rbeckett

Joined Sep 3, 2010
Most auto windows sense a current rise at the ends of the up sand down travel to shut off the motor to prevent glass damage and motor failure. If a fuse were employed in the circuit at a lesser rating than the anticipated current rise you window would only go up or down once and require a new fuse. Most of the current auto windows also emply this strategy to protect the operators and passsenger from getting caught in the windows if something should happen during use with some part of their bodies like an arm or wives sticking there pretty little heads in the window for that last off to work kiss from hubby. Never said they were the smartest birds in the tree.. But that is why you see breakers rather than fuses on auto power window.
Bob

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
Another reason for breakers is to prevent a fuse from blowing if a window is temporarily frozen (iced over).