Power Usage

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by cmac0351, Jan 4, 2009.

1. cmac0351

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 11, 2008
  2. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    I think it is a scam. It is just a little capacitor that might help correct a poor power factor.
    But the electricity meters in homes do not care about a poor power factor.
    The people who purchased the gadget and said that it works are in the UK and in South Africa. Maybe their meters are different to mine.

Industry use properly calculated capacitors to reduce a poor power factor because their electricity meters charge extra for a poor power factor.

3. PlugandSave.com

Mar 24, 2009
    Hi Chris,

I'm the director of Plug and Save and just discovered this thread. I hope you don't mind me addressing your question here.

Thanks Audioguru for your contribution. I appreciate very much your skepticism and unfortunately there are a number of so-called devices out there that are not effective in any way.

I'm not really sure what you mean Chris when you ask about building this. If you're interested in building your own version I can perhaps help you (although some technologies we use need to be withheld, I can certainly help you to acquire some of the circuits we use though.

Best wishes,

Martin

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2009
  4. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Martin/PlugandSave.com,

I have removed the plug for your website (and a few other bits) as it contravenes our rules on advertising. I will closely monitor this thread for further breaches.

To alleviate the concerns of the more technical members here at AAC, care to share with us how your come to the conclusion that you get a 40% saving on electricity bills when using your device?

Dave

5. jj_alukkas

Jan 8, 2009
    They say its a capacitor bank... Is it a power factor corrector??

6. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Quite possibly. It would be interesting to see data proving the 40% claim. Or is it anecdotal?

Dave

7. AlexR

Jan 16, 2008
    It sure looks like a scam to me and the pseudo science explanations on the WEB site don't do anything to boost ones confidence in the device.
    To quote the web site;
    So far so good, its called noise.
    How? By what mechanism does noise on the power line 'leak' usable electricity from your circuit? Where does this so-called usable elecricity get leaked to?
    Quite possibly it does but since domestic users are not charged for power factor does it really matter?
    Just where do these miraculous savings come from? Its can't be the power factor correction and if noise on your power line is making your power meter spin 15% to 40% faster then you really should be talking to your power supply company. Not to mention that so much noise on the mains would make it impossible to watch TV or listen to the radio, stereo etc.

8. jj_alukkas

Jan 8, 2009
    Ya... plug it anywhere in your house. So that your neighbourhood will also benefit from the device connected in parallel on the common circuit.. This is impossible unless the current flows 'through' it and not just 'by' it... It is sure a capacitor bank then..

My 100Ah Inverter battery wont take that long to charge from empty to full.. i dont believe it unless I get to know it internally..

9. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    My rural power co-op flier just printed an article warning against scams like the PowerSaver. They belong in the category with magnetic gasoline molecule alligners.

10. thingmaker3

Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
    I've got five bucks says there's no scientific testing. A Thai power bill in an information vacuum is worth less than the greasy napkin I just threw away. Any hard tests with the thing being turned off after all the other energy saving measures have been taken? Any? Hmmm? None?

11. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Funny, the Thai power bill dropping at the end of the year coincides with the ending of the rainy season after the hot season, and the beginning of the dry, "cool" season.

I'd imagine that Thai folks would use their air conditioners and lights a lot more when it's dark, hot and humid than when it's relatively cool, dry and bright outside.

12. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    Did you notice that the SCAMMER with his magical capacitor went away?

13. jj_alukkas

Jan 8, 2009
    He thought its like the China market over here.. Only sales, no questions..