power theft detection/indecation

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by sravan kumar padala, Jul 24, 2012.

1. sravan kumar padala

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 3, 2012
    hellow,

I want to do a project on Power Theft Detection/Indication for which I've searched web much but I haven't found anything interesting and the circuits that I've got are also not a perfect one. Please help me in this aspect and the project may also include Micro controller.

thank you in advance.

sravan

2. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    power theft detection for....?
    Are you thinking from the perspective of the utility company or yourself?
    What I mean is, are you trying to detect your neighbors stealing power from your own meter, or are you thinking of a way for the utility company to detect how many, and where, people throughout a city are stealing power?

sravan kumar padala likes this.
  3. sravan kumar padala

Jun 3, 2012
    Sir,

My aim is to do a small project that explains the power theft detection/identification in the distribution side (if possible in transmission to distribution too). I mean I must be able to say that how much of power is being theft and if possible where it is being theft. It's going to be my undergraduate project for fulfillment of my graduation degree.

And to be clear I consider a 230v power line and then it is fed to load and there will be some theft being done in the middle. And now my aim is to detect how much power is being theft and where it theft.And this applies from transmission to distribution too.

thank you.

4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    It isn't hard. P=V*I

If the power you are sending does not match the power being received, then you look at losses, which are very consistent and do not vary. If there is more than that there is theft.

PackratKing likes this.
  5. sravan kumar padala

Jun 3, 2012
    thank you Mr.Bill,

And I've a small doubt regarding your answer and it is as you said that just if the power does n't match at both the ends then we can conclude that there is a power theft. now what my question is if there are any faults in middle of the system such that there changes the readings in the meters then how we can conclude that the power has theft rather than fault occured. And I also have another doubt that what are the meter that are going to be used at both ends?

please do reply.
    thank you.

6. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Faults get repaired, as they cost money. A power company can detect a 100W light bulb inductively tapped from a high tension line. It is tried occasionally by some yahoo who has power lines crossing their property, and usually gets shut down quickly and the yahoo charged with theft of service (a real charge in this country).

You underestimate how predictable and precision the measurements are. This is not art, it is science. The instrumentation is very precise, even to a hobbiest. How many DVMs have you used? They are cheap and easy, now imagine what equipment where real money is spent is like.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    If you want to find WHERE theft happens, you will need meters placed at intervals on the power line, where the thieves don't know about them or can't find them.

I would not be surprised if soon the residential meters are placed on the power poles and the billing information sent by radio or internet connection.

8. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Have you not heard of smart meters? or did you mean "I would not be surprised if soon the residential meters are placed on the power poles and the billing information sent by radio or internet connection IN INDIA"?

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I've heard of smart meters but I've never seen one. I wouldn't be surprised if soon they were actually being used, whether in U.S.A or India.

10. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    I had one on my last house and one on the house I live in now. In my area, they are now promoting pre-paid electric, no credit check, no contract. This is enabled by the smart meters which are sweeping the area.

#12 likes this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I guess Houston (or Texas in general) is getting meters that we aren't getting in Florida (or India).

12. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    I was looking for a map with little dots to give an indication of where smart meters are, showing hotspots. I didn't find that, but I found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_meter#United_States

#12 likes this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    The Oncor Advanced Metering System (AMS) currently supports 15-minute-interval data, remote disconnects, and a Home Area Network (HAN) using ZigBee Smart Energy Protocol 1.0. The AMS supports text messages, pricing signals, and load control to home users...

Do you want to bet about whether the electric companies will put these control functions on a hackable network?
    and I'll bet that the disconnect fees will not be reduced when nobody has to climb a ladder to shut off your service.

strantor likes this.
  14. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    That's wierd. When I moved out of the old house with the smart meter, they were not able to turn off power remotely. They had to send a guy out. I know that they actually did send a guy out because I was there when he showed up.

with regards to the system being hackable: Right now, anybody with a pair of insulated cable cutters could come and perform an unauthorized disconnect. I've thought about doing it to my neighbors before when they were blaring Tejano music at 140dB while I try to rest up for the night shift.

#12 likes this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    With several million hackable meters in place, one person could switch off half a city.

strantor likes this.
  16. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    DOH! oh yeah, that completely slipped my mind. LOL

#12 likes this.
  17. sravan kumar padala

Jun 3, 2012
    thank you Mr.strantor

18. sravan kumar padala

Jun 3, 2012
    thank you Mr.12

19. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    sure.... no problem. Did I say something particularly helpful? Was the keyword "smartmeter" enough?

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Apparently we were discussing exactly what he needed.