Power Systems Protection refresher?

dregan

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I have an interview coming up with a local power company and was wondering if anyone knows any good resources for brushing up on Power Systems Protection and relaying. Thanks! Dave

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
The number one question they ask you is : fully explain power factor and its impact on power distribution.. At least, that's what my friends that are into power systems say.

Steve

subtech

Joined Nov 21, 2006
Power system protection could range from fuses to protect single phase pole mounted transformers, to a full range of protection for a 1,000+ megawatt steam turbine driven generator. What size and type of company are you interviewing with, and what is their
"place" in the system? (Generation, transmission, distribution?)

dregan

Joined Apr 3, 2008
Thanks for the help, The Job is classified under Transmission and from what I gather from the job description, it will be mostly database design and designing software to configure, track and test their fault mitigation and relaying system. I think this will be mostly dealing with software engineering with a little bit of circuit design and debugging. Most of my professional career has been in semiconductors and I'd like to brush up power engineering, specifically system redundancy and relaying, before I go into this interview.

Thanks,
Dave

subtech

Joined Nov 21, 2006
Okay,
Well, a really good place to start would be buying/borrowing just about anything
written by J. Lewis Blackburn. A search for, "Protective Relaying: Principles and
Applications" should get you going.
You'll likely need some tune up on symmetrical components. You might try:
Symmetrical Components by Wagner and Evans
(there are NOT a whole lot of copies of this floating around. If you find one
in decent shape for under $100.00 it would be well worth the expense)
If this is too steep, you might try Blackburns book on Symmetrical Components, but it seems to me to be more geared toward those who may have some previous experience.

If you can find it, a copy of "Applied Protective Relaying" (Westinghouse) is an excellent reference as well.
If by chance you love to torture yourself with mathematics, you might search for:
Analysis of Faulted Power Systems by Paul M. Anderson.
Be warned however, Mr. Anderson can sneeze and expel algebra equations that make most people run away in sheer terror.(just kidding)

None of the above titles are cheap, but if you are seriously pursuing a job that involves protective relaying, these books are excellent.

Best of luck to you in your upcoming interview.