Power surge kills home appliances and computer

oryxbikeboy

Joined May 15, 2015
Hello, I had a tree fall on my power lines and I think the two touched and created a voltage spike that caused some electrical devices to fail in my home. they are two multi speed fans, two Japanese style toilet seats, garage door opener, my computer power and one clock radio. I would like to repair these things myself if I can. I have good mechanical skills but my knowledge of electric circuits is very poor. I have a Fluke 25 multi meter. I checked the garage door opener on the internet and found they are very susceptible to voltage spikes. I believe I need to buy a new circuit board but would like to test the old one first. I'm not sure what readings I should get from the power supply for my computer. I have attached some pictures and any help would be appreciated. I would like to get my garage door working first and then my computer. There is no rush for anything else. the door opener is a chamberlain and the circuit board is 41db002-2. Agaain, I would appreciate any help. Thanks Craig.

20150515_134246s.jpg

20150515_134307s.jpg

20150515_134329s.jpg

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Craig, I will be straight up and honest with you. Trying to trouble shoot the devices you mention, even for the experienced can be a daunting task. Problems as a result of line voltage issues including trees taking down mains lines can be real hard to find. Generally I would just pick up the phone and call my home owners insurance and have things replaced. While the pictures are good quality they do not reflect anything obviously wrong at a glance.

Ron

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
I have taken the covers off hundreds of atx psus, and for what its worth repairing , its cheaper to buy a new one ,its most likely the input fets have blown and the fuse,god knows what else, chuck it in the bin....

without a circuit diagram its near impossible to fix,

as for the other stuff its up to you how long you can persevere with pictures and forum replies as to getting them repaired.

legs crossed for the toilet

Last edited:

oryxbikeboy

Joined May 15, 2015
Thanks Ron, I was hoping to understand what readings I should be getting at that component. Does it reduce the voltage at that point?I know testing components on the board is difficult but I think I should be able to test where the power goes in to the on off switch.I don't believe it is worth the bother to call insurance because it is very small damage.thanks for your thoughts Craig

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
The images show what looks to be a small EMI (Filter) board where the 120 VAC mains enter the PSU. This little board will be 120 VAC In and Out. Looks like the brown wire runs down to the rear On/Off switch which should switch the hot side of the 120 VAC. What exactly does the PC not do? Put the PSU all together. Power the PSU up. Turn the rear power switch on. Matter of fact see if this page is of any help to you. Just get the PSU buttoned up. There are a few caps in there which charge to some pretty high voltages and you don't want that stuff exposed. See if the link helps you with some basic PC troubleshooting.

Ron

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I changed your thread title from "Advice and help requested" to
"Power surge kills home appliances and computer".

This will give readers a better idea about your request.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Your upload files were too too big, I spent about one minutes long to download, that was too waste the resource, next time, please don't forget to compress the files to a appropriate file size to 800 x 600, sometimes using 1024 x 768, it depends on how much components on the pcb. (I already compressed them to 800 x 600, from about 2.5Mb to 60Kb, it was about 43 times.)