power supply

suzuki

Joined Aug 10, 2011
https://www.phoenixcontact.com/assets/images_ed/global/web_content/pic_con_a_0041942_int.jpg

Hi, I have a question about the dc/dc converter on the right and how it works.

If I only put a 200V input into the left most terminal (L+), will I get a single +24V input on the other side? Is it assumed that these converters have an internal (ground) reference?

Or is it wired so that I need to put a ground in the N- terminal at the bottom? If I were to put in +200V on the left and -200V on the right, would I get +24 and -24V at the output? Why is there 2 negative output terminals at the top, and what is the DC OK terminal for? Same goes for NC, I'm not sure what that does either.

Thanks for all replies! I hope I was clear in my question, since my understanding of this is quite remedial.

Cheers!

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
This is a Switched Mode Power Supply (SMPS).

If you feed an 100 - 240 Volts AC Across the input (Line and Neutral are marked), you will get 24 Volts DC at the output; the +ve and -ve terminals are marked.
Neither terminal is "Earthed" - the output is floating.

If you connect a +200 V and -200 V on the input terminals, you are, in effect, supplying a DC of 400 V at the input. You will damage the unit. Anyway, even if you feed a 240 Volts DC at the input, the unit may not work at all. Some control circuitry may still require AC.

The "DC OK" terminal monitors a feedback from the load. This terminal is connected to the -ve of the output - either directly, thru' a relay or an active device.

The bigger unit has 2 outputs in Parallel, the smaller 1. There is a separate -ve terminal to be "paired" with the "DC OK"

Ramesh