power supply

dio123

Joined Feb 12, 2010
I want to remake my power supply, improve the voltage adjust, and put current adjustment. Besides going for voltmeter and ammeter digital occupying less space than analog.
The features for my new power supply, are very simple. The source 0-15V 2A, stabilized, with adjustable current and voltage.
Will be to work with atmegas, build circuits in beardboard, basic things for beginners.

vi alguns esquemas pela net, mas depois algumas opiniões que tem erros.
However I would like to know some circuit that recommend me to use.

I thank you

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
The features for my new power supply, are very simple. The source 0-15V 2A, stabilized, with adjustable current and voltage.
Will be to work with atmegas, build circuits in beardboard, basic things for beginners.
It sounds like you want a lab supply. They are not trivial to build. The typical LM317 circuits are pretty junky. They can not adjust to zero volts and they can not regulate current. You really need a lab supply where you can adjust either voltage and current. I happen to have designed a good one, you will not like how much circuitry it takes to build a decent lab supply. I recommend you buy one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/15V-2A-Digi...741?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c35fdd095

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MASTECH-Swi...915?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c55d68cb

Attachments

Last edited:

dio123

Joined Feb 12, 2010
In America are very cheap sources of power.
In Portugal these power supplys are very expensive almost $ 100.
However this is lab power supply that need. I had seen a circuit, but the transformer needed negative voltage, and my transformer does not have.

I had seen this circuit at google, but did not know how it worked, spent.
Now we know it's yours, I'll try to do.

I have a doubt in your circuit.
Since it does not need two outputs, the circuit is in the medium is necessary, the source or work without it. ?

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
However this is lab power supply that need. I had seen a circuit, but the transformer needed negative voltage, and my transformer does not have.

Since it does not need two outputs, the circuit is in the medium is necessary, the source or work without it. ?
I don't understand your question, but the circuit I posted definitely works: it is the lab supply I use on my bench. It does not need a negative voltage supply to allow the output to go down to zero Volts because of the type of design it is.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Bountyhunter,
I believe that our O.P. is trying to say that they only need one output; so could they simply eliminate the circuitry for B OUT and the items in the middle?

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
The red part has a temperature detection and overheating auto shutdown function, if you didn't used that function then the power will lose protection, it's not good for you.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
The over temp protection is not necessary as long as your heatsink is large enough that you KNOW the pass transistors will never overheat. That circuit was included in my design because it is a dual output (3A) design and if both outputs are shorted at 3A, the heatsink is not enough. I didn't want to use a huge heavy heatsink so I included over temp protection.

The auto parallel function is only for connecting the outputs in parallel. Not required for only a single output design.

dio123

Joined Feb 12, 2010
Good night,
I have finished making the schematic, but I'm having trouble organizing the components so as to have to do less bridges possible.

bountyhunter - not by chance have any pictures of your circuit so I have more or less an idea of how to arrange the components on the board.

thank you

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Good night,

bountyhunter - not by chance have any pictures of your circuit so I have more or less an idea of how to arrange the components on the board.

thank you
sorry. The circuit was not built on a PC board. Since it was a one off only for my bench, I built it on vector board and hard wired it by hand.

I did create a cut down simplified schematic to show a more generic version of only one channel without the protection circuits.

Attachments

dio123

Joined Feb 12, 2010
Good morning,
I apologize for the delay, but time and money has been little, and things are being done slowly.
I concluded that I will make the full power source, the two outputs are always useful.

Have made ​​a part of the source and it works great, has everything you need in one source.

The power supply has 3 simple buttons.
If you connect the 3 buttons, the 2 outputs are the same voltage 0-16V, and the amperage is 0-5 A?

When you have finished the source I send you the eagle files of the entire project.

russ_hensel

Joined Jan 11, 2009

If it is a transformer it has negative voltage 1/2 the time. It may not be center tapped.

A center tap transformer is nice for full wave rectifier for both polarities relative to ground. If not center tapped use 1/2 wave rectification.

1/2 wave tends to double current load on diode and ripple voltage. Filtering should be able to take care of that.

If you are building a bench supply you should be able to figure out the details mentioned above, at least with a little help from the web.