Power Supply

ClipCord

Joined May 26, 2013
Does anyone have a schematic for a variable voltage power supply. It will run from 0.1V to 17V @ 2A. I know I will need a 17V 2A transformer, bridge rectifier, several capacitors and resistors and either a rheostat or potentiometer. I can't find any good schematics for what I am looking to build. It will be a tattoo power supply. It will need to have a 1/4 phone plug for footswitch and 1/4 phone plug for clip cord (machine attachment). Our machines run anywhere from 5.5 V to 12 V. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Anthony

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Does anyone have a schematic for a variable voltage power supply. It will run from 0.1V to 17V @ 2A. I know I will need a 17V 2A transformer, bridge rectifier, several capacitors and resistors and either a rheostat or potentiometer. I can't find any good schematics for what I am looking to build. It will be a tattoo power supply. It will need to have a 1/4 phone plug for footswitch and 1/4 phone plug for clip cord (machine attachment). Our machines run anywhere from 5.5 V to 12 V. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Anthony
Seriously ?????
In my opinion your wasting your time because you can pick them up on ebay for next to nothing ..
But if your trying to build a fully customize power supply that you can't find or just cost to much then go for it ..

ClipCord

Joined May 26, 2013
I know how cheap you can get one for on eBay. I am trying to build a custom one not available there. The one I use is a lot more technical and I want to build a much simpler version.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
I know how cheap you can get one for on eBay. I am trying to build a custom one not available there. The one I use is a lot more technical and I want to build a much simpler version.
Ok the cheap one are the simplest version available and show us what you're using and maybe I can understand more of what your talking about...

Rbeckett

Joined Sep 3, 2010
Have a look at the Elenco precision bench top power supply schematic. It does what you want. I bought the kit and upgraded the diode bridge and used a larger transformer and I get plenty of good clean low ripple power. I get it in 3 different flavors, AC, +DC, and -DC 0-20 Volts at max 5Amps. The kit was very inexpensive and comes with an enclosure and cord. Nothing else to buy to get one working.

Wheelchair Bob

edwardholmes91

Joined Feb 25, 2013
Bob, that looks very tempting. I haven't particularly got a benchtop power supply and have been looking for one that is reasonably capable and a reasonable price. Even with import duties and shipping to the UK it still comes in a £60 which sounds pretty good to me! I shouldn't really be spending money at the moment though, so I will favorite it and think about getting it soon. Thanks for the spot! :)

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
If your device use voltages from 5.5 to 12 volt why 0.1 to 17 volt output ;). In your case I think it would be cheaper to get a fixed output cheap switch mode power supply and then perhaps regulate this down to wanted voltage. But I think we need to know more about your setup to give any proper help