Power supply

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by Rburk65, May 8, 2013.

1. Rburk65

Thread Starter New Member

May 8, 2013
    Hello everyone. Newbie here. Recently built a new shop to spend some retirement time. It has a full attic with a walk up stairway and a 3'x10 trap door to keep in the heat below. Have purchased a 2000# winch to lift and open the trap door. Its supposed to be used on an ATV so it requires 12vdc battery supply with a minimum of 12 Ah. I'd rather not fool with a battery so the question for you gurus is what are my options here? Where do I find a 120VAC to 12VDC power supply to suit my needs and what might it cost me. Thanks ever so much.

2. praondevou

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 9, 2011
    We need the winch spec (max current)

Why not use a battery? Buy a battery, a cheap charger and a fuse from battery to winch.

3. Rburk65

May 8, 2013
    Well......the manual says anywhere from 10 Amp. To 106 Amp. This is only a 5% duty cycle. I bought it at Harbor Freight. Why not use a battery? Well i just thought it might be less of a hassle with the power supply, is all. Thanks.

4. LDC3

Apr 27, 2013
  5. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Most of the time the motor needs no current, but when you use it it may need a LOT of current for a very short time.

What makes the battery attractive is it has the ability to provide a large current for a short time, then be recharged over a long period by a low current, inexpensive supply.

What makes a straight power supply unattractive is it must be rated for the peak current it only needs to deliver for a moment, and you have to pay for that capability 24/7.

Last edited: May 9, 2013
    praondevou likes this.
  6. Rburk65

May 8, 2013
    LDC3 and ErnieM......thank you both for the info. So either way, the power supply or the battery/charger, I'll have a $100 in it. But, I do understand the instantaneous power requirement, so......probably go with the battery. Thanks guys......I assume you're guys? Thanks, very helpful.

ErnieM likes this.