Power Supply

tahir51214

Joined Nov 11, 2011
Im a beginner. In a project im assigned to use 9V battery, I have a variable power supply. Can I use it with 9V selection instead of battery? Pls help me out

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Because we don't know the details of your project, and the 9V battery just can offer a small current, so when you using the variable power supply to replacing the battery, the circuit could be working fine, but it doesn't means that it will also working ok with 9V battery.

Using the variable power supply to do the experiment is very common, I also do that, but if the circuit will working with a 9V battery then I will calculate how much current that I should provide for it, I will also measure the current.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The only concern - and it's a bit of a reach - is that you're working with a poorly designed circuit that relies on the low current capacity of the 9V battery. This hypothetical circuit might be operating at 6V once it pulls down the battery voltage when under load. When you come along with a genuine "unlimited" 9V supply, the circuit may not last as long.