power supply

eng.zaid

Joined Dec 6, 2007
Hi,
How can i turn on the computer power supply uotside computer to use it multi range voltage in other applications like power supply for bread board and so on.

Thanks

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
If is is a modern power supply, you can surely use the 5V standby supply. If you know how to turn on the PSU (modern PSUs need a signal to turn on), you can use all voltages. With older PSUs you can use all voltages without the need of a signal to turn on the PSU.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Click here:
http://www.wikihow.com/Convert-a-Computer-ATX-Power-Supply-to-a-Lab-Power-Supply

I did something quite similar for my supply. Works great for logic, but needs filtering for use with analog circuits.

Note that most ATX supplies don't provide much current on the -5V and -12V outputs, usually under 0.8A for both combined. That's because the only place it's used is the RS-232 communication ports, which will likely go away in the future.

For computer SMPS units it is great and available very cheap .The trick is you have to permenantly put a load on the 5 volts output (like a lamp load between black wire and red wire) to get all voltages on the output .
the ATX need to make a bridge between two wires in it's output socket ( in the middle with colors green and black if I still remebre it please revise it