Power supply voltage bump

SomeDude15

Joined Apr 5, 2015
I have a HP server power supply that has a DC output of 12 volts, 75 amps at 900 watts off of a 110 AC input. How can this be modfied to increase the output voltage to 13.8? Attached are 2 pictures. 1 picture is of the contacts on the power supply that plug into a server. The second picture is off the same model power supply that has be modified to give the 13.8 volts output Im looking for. Can anyone help me identify what was done in picture 2 that may be what's increasing the voltage?

1 7.JPG 257.JPG

The resistor in picture 2 on the left side contacts is used to complete a connection to turn on the power supply with it being not plugged into a server. The 2 wide contacts are the negative and possitive contacts. In picture 2 there is something between the negative and possitive contacts and I need help identifying what it is and what it does so I can duplicate it on more power supplies.

Thanks in advance for help.

LDC3

Joined Apr 27, 2013
It would help if you could gives us the numbers on the device and maybe a clearer picture to show what it is attached to.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
I saw some cases used the switching power to modified it became a adjustable power, I think you need to open the case and check the main IC number, and find the datasheet, maybe could find out the method.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
I have a HP server power supply that has a DC output of 12 volts, 75 amps at 900 watts off of a 110 AC input. How can this be modfied to increase the output voltage to 13.8? Attached are 2 pictures. 1 picture is of the contacts on the power supply that plug into a server. The second picture is off the same model power supply that has be modified to give the 13.8 volts output Im looking for. Can anyone help me identify what was done in picture 2 that may be what's increasing the voltage?
I don't see anything in picture 2 that would be increasing the output voltage; all I see is the addition of a pair of screw terminals for output connection, and what I'm guessing is some sort of overvoltage protective device like a TVS.

There's probably a trimpot somewhere inside the enclosed part of the device that adjusts the output voltage, and my guess would be that was what was done to unit #2 to raise the voltage.

SomeDude15

Joined Apr 5, 2015
I don't see anything in picture 2 that would be increasing the output voltage; all I see is the addition of a pair of screw terminals for output connection, and what I'm guessing is some sort of overvoltage protective device like a TVS.

There's probably a trimpot somewhere inside the enclosed part of the device that adjusts the output voltage, and my guess would be that was what was done to unit #2 to raise the voltage.
I wish I had another picture. I was hoping somebody could make out what it is and what it's doing.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
You need to find out the datasheet of IC and modify the resistor, the manufacturer will set up and limited the range of adjustable voltage to be adjust.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
12.7 V is 5% plus some margin, and almost certainly is the intended max. adjustment range of the design. A straight-on view of the end of the supply might show more clues inside. Also, most high-current supplies have remote-sense inputs (probably on some of the narrow fingers). You can manipulate the output of the supply by injecting a small current into the remote sense. If you're very lucky, the main control loop is designed such that this extra current can be derived from the main output voltage so that the supply regulates at the new. higher output voltage.

If these are used and out of warranty, rip off the lid and lets see inside.

ak

SomeDude15

Joined Apr 5, 2015
12.7 V is 5% plus some margin, and almost certainly is the intended max. adjustment range of the design. A straight-on view of the end of the supply might show more clues inside. Also, most high-current supplies have remote-sense inputs (probably on some of the narrow fingers). You can manipulate the output of the supply by injecting a small current into the remote sense. If you're very lucky, the main control loop is designed such that this extra current can be derived from the main output voltage so that the supply regulates at the new. higher output voltage.

If these are used and out of warranty, rip off the lid and lets see inside.

ak
The female bullets are where I connect my devices to be powered which I added.

IMG_0815.jpg IMG_0816.jpg IMG_0818.JPG

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
HP PSU.png Looks like they added a resistor on the connector (output) which I would guess is a sense pin. Look at the connector in the second image. Look at the left side and there looks to be a small resistor in there. My guess is like many supplies there are sense leads used and that resistor figures into things.

Ron

SomeDude15

Joined Apr 5, 2015
Looks like they added a resistor on the connector (output) which I would guess is a sense pin. Look at the connector in the second image. Look at the left side and there looks to be a small resistor in there. My guess is like many supplies there are sense leads used and that resistor figures into things.

Ron
What that thing is and does is what I was trying to figure out

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
It looks to be a resistor used to "trick" the sense lead for the - supply side. My guess is a low value resistor. What are the colors on it? The band colors? This is a typical way to "trick" the supply into sensing a lower output voltage than there is and outputting a higher voltage.

Ron

SomeDude15

Joined Apr 5, 2015
It looks to be a resistor used to "trick" the sense lead for the - supply side. My guess is a low value resistor. What are the colors on it? The band colors? This is a typical way to "trick" the supply into sensing a lower output voltage than there is and outputting a higher voltage.

Ron
That's what it is doing.