Power supply started smoking

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
If you need to leave to power supply plugged in an powering a device in your home when it is not attended, I suggest using a UL listed or CE listed device. I just hate to have my sleeping family's safety depending on the design skills of a entrepreneur who is selling knock-off power supplies on eBay - the entire design would be based on cost optimization with no concern for safety of the end user and no fear that the end user will file lawsuit if property is damaged or people are injured.

Insurance companies may not be too happy to cover damages caused by non-UL listed devices that you import from eBay purchases.

KeithW

Joined Mar 24, 2013
If you need to leave to power supply plugged in an powering a device in your home when it is not attended, I suggest using a UL listed or CE listed device. I just hate to have my sleeping family's safety depending on the design skills of a entrepreneur who is selling knock-off power supplies on eBay - the entire design would be based on cost optimization with no concern for safety of the end user and no fear that the end user will file lawsuit if property is damaged or people are injured.

Insurance companies may not be too happy to cover damages caused by non-UL listed devices that you import from eBay purchases.
Good points.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Did you fix the problem or still looking for the answer???

I feel you where pushing the limits of the power supply if it's really cheap power supply and you either going to upgrade some parts, Add more protecting ,or just buy a better quality unit ... I picked up a used MASTECH DC POWER SUPPLY HY3003D for $50 bucks or so and it works perfectly for me but I still know it was made china so i take it easy on it ..

Here's some help if it does
http://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/beware-yihua-yh-305d-bench-psu/