Power Supply prob

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by lordratner, Jul 7, 2013.

1. lordratner

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Hi all,

I have an AC to 12v DC power supply that is passing AC voltage (anywhere from 20-120 volts depending on what it touches). I've used it with no issues in the US (120v AC) but now in the UK (240v AC) the PS makes a faint whining sound and produces the AC voltage. It is still producing the 12v DC with no issues, and the PS is rated for 110 - 240 v input.

EDIT: Some more information from testing. It turns out the PS passes AC voltage with 120vAC input too. At 120vAC input it passes a ~40vAC current, and at 240vAC input it passes a ~80vAC current. This current is enough that I can feel it if I touch it (moreso with the 240v input, which makes sense). I measured it with a multimeter at about .6 amps. I thought maybe something else inside could have been creating the AC current, but when I disconnected the PS from the AC input, the 40/80vAC random current vanished.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  2. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Is this a Switched mode psu , like for a mobile phone charger or computer psu?

3. lordratner

Jul 30, 2012
    Yes, I believe I stole it out of the wall wart for a wireless router or something like that

4. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    They do whistle and buzz depending on the quality of the pcb build, if its a plastic case its safe , if its a metal case make sure its earthed.

5. lordratner

Jul 30, 2012
    Yeah, the whistle isn't a huge concern of mine, but the 80vAC thats coming from the PS is the issue. Is this normal, or should I just scrap the PS?

If I have to replace it, what is a good source of 12v power supplies (1-2A)? I don't have many spare wall warts to rip apart

6. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    So your saying that you have an 80v ac ripple on the DC output side? If thats the case there is a small capacitor on the mains negative line to the DC negative line inside, remove that and it will remove the ripple.

Better still BIN IT and buy a descent psu.

7. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Measure the resistance between all input and all output leads. If it's in the megaohm region then the supply is probably sufficiently galvanically isolated but may have capacitive coupling between input and output that is causing the observed voltage. If you use the device, ground the output common to the wall safety ground. That will minimize any possible danger from the leakage voltage.