power supply operation

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by prof, Feb 25, 2008.

1. prof

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 21, 2008
    I have this no name power supply and I am unsure of the exact operation. It has a +ve and a -ve terminal, a power turn on/off switch like any other power supply . In addition there are two other things to adjust settings:

1. A two-way switch indicating current and voltage on flip sides
    2. A knob

It is rated 0-3A and 0-30V. I do not have a data sheet accompanying it. Previously, I was able to light up small circuits by tweaking the knob and switch. Now I have a little bit bigger circuit to power and I want to know the real operation of the supply (I tried tweaking the switch without understanding and the circuit got really heat up).

So can anyone please advise me how to use these things. For instance my circuit should be working on a constant 5V. I am not sure exactly how much current is needed. So I have to make proper adjustments with constant voltage and increase the current bit-by-bit until i get the circuit working.

Thanks.

2. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    If you need constant voltage, flip your two-way switch to voltage, and adjust the knob to get the voltage you need. The power supply will vary the current supply between 0A and 3A to keep the voltage constant.

If you need constant current, flip your two-way switch to current, and adjust the knob to get the current you need. The power supply will vary the voltage between 0V and 30V to keep the current constant.