Power supply in a production environment

electrophile

Joined Aug 30, 2013
Has anybody used one of these in a production environment? These seem to cost less than if I were to build my own and they seem right sized too. Any reviews would be really helpful.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
To me, the size 10x8x6 cm is a little big, the size is bigger, but the current only I=3W/5V= 0.6A, the price there is a little higher than mine, I bought some AC110V~240V to 5Vdc/2.1A adapters, the size is 7x3x5 cm, but for a commercial product, the linked page is can be considered.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Since the ac to do converter only provided 0.6A and I recommended that use it 80% or less as 480 mA, what do you plan to do for this product to using in the commercial product?

electrophile

Joined Aug 30, 2013
I have a product that uses TI's CC3200 MCU (with an external Flash). While on standby use it uses no more than 15-20mA and when its WiFi radio is in use it uses about 180-225mA. However on power ON when the device scans and connects to a network, it uses upto 600mA for a few mS. I needed something in a small form factor and this seemed to fit the bill. The correct link is here. This is about 34mm x 21mm x 15mm.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
The size of ac to dc(3.3V/1A) converter is quite small as dc to dc converter, that is better with the previous one and suitable for the small device to solder it on PCB and it has no problem for 600 mA request.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
If you are going to put that in a production product then I would perform some basic reliability tests on several units, such as with a full output load at an elevated temperature (say 50°C) in an oven for a week or so.
That will give you some confidence in the reliability of the unit and minimize returns of your product due to premature failures of the power supply.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
For the best temperature condition is doesn't sense any warm feeling and than just a little warm, and the last is under 60 °C(140 °F) for one hour testing with full load and no temperature increasing.

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
If you plan on building a product around this, the main concern should be availability, if its a sole-source part, you could get into trouble.