Power supply for a foam cutter

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
You should be able to operate continusly at 2A, @ 3A-maybe 1/2 hr. @ 4A, maybe 5 min. When the transformer is too hot to hold- time to shut down. Note: maybes do not come with guarantees.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
You would cook your transformer, start a fire, and hopefully blow a breaker. If you have a 20A breaker, you will burn it up before the breaker trips.

PeterChatterton

Joined Jun 27, 2010
usually by the time you smell it, it would have already shorted the windings in the transformer....

B. Morse
That's why I plan to keep the pwr supply in an open box as close to me as possible.

I'm not planning to blow my house fuse by doing anything crazy -- that's why I got on here in the first place (as i recall), I wanted to add a fuse to a published circuit where it didn't exist. Now I'm finding that the circuit is garbage, but as I've built it I'm going to use it, but cautiously.

Peter

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
If you take a look at this circuit here, you can see that the secondary on this transformer is rated at 2 amps, but they only have a 1 amp on the primary side...

http://www.nsrca.org/technical/tip_tricks/foam_cutter/foam_cutting_power_supply.htm

And apparently this guy has done the research and come up with a "safe" and almost foolproof way of powering his foam cutter.....

which is the same circuit I will be using once I get around to finishing my CNC foam cutting machine....

so by placing a 1 amp slow blow fuse on the primary may just work for you, or use a 2 amp fast blow....

B. Morse

PeterChatterton

Joined Jun 27, 2010
I'm not saying that's a bad design, it's just that I've spent way too much time on my current build -- and cutting foam is only a side event of my current project, and I hope never to have to cut foam again!

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
I'm not saying that's a bad design, it's just that I've spent way too much time on my current build -- and cutting foam is only a side event of my current project, and I hope never to have to cut foam again!

no, I am not saying to build the circuit, but use it as an example on where to place the proper fuse in your current setup.....

B. Morse

I want to make small foam blank size cutter electrically operated with toropot as regulator.
I hv 24v, 5A(120VA) transformer as well as 12V, 5A transformer with 2 ohm, 50 watt toropot as regulator for foam / thermocolr cutter & using 23gauge/24 gauge nichrome 80/20 hot wire about 12" long. Can I use above set up for cutting 4" thick foam/thermocole blank size cutting? Plz provide ckt drwg 7 valuable information.