power supply failure

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by lokesh.dee, Jul 9, 2014.

1. lokesh.dee

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 9, 2014
    Hai

swicthing of input for a power supply cause failure?
    i have a failed 24V DC supply to analog instruments in one of our crystalyser panel input 230 V fed from a UPS. maximum current is 10A. make SOLA power supplies.

This power supply failed after swicthing of the main power . we switched toff the panel for maintenanance after switching we observed that power supply output is not coming which was working fine before switching off the panel?

we had same problem earlier for same capacity power supply in other panel. i suspected manufacturing deffect. these power supplies are 5 years old.

2. debe

Sep 21, 2010
    With out knowing what is in the circuit & 5 yrs old. Some SMPS have a resistor to kick start them & has probably gone high in value. Electrolytic caps may also be dried out.

lokesh.dee likes this.
  3. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    My WAG is electrolytic cap(s).
    The timing is just about right.

lokesh.dee likes this.
  4. lokesh.dee

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 9, 2014
    thank you ..

what would be the normal life time for a dc power supply. there are some level transmitter/pressure transmitters /ph transmitters connected to the power supply

5. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    General rule of thumb is that electrolytic caps go bad anywhere from 3 to 8 years.

I have a small pile of computer power supplies that gone bad after a few years. I am looking at bad electrolytic cap on lcd monitor power board that went bad after about 6 years.

lokesh.dee likes this.
  6. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Oh c'mon. Most everything I own is older than that, and still working fine.

Sensacell likes this.
  7. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    Well, since my lcd monitor power board crapped out I am using Sony crt from the year of our lord 2002. There is hope for me yet.

8. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    You could look at installing linear P.S.'s they are a bit more rugged and in the odd event of failure, are a lot easier to repair.
    24vdc regulated types are available if required.
    Max.

lokesh.dee likes this.