power supply fail

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
It's possible but I wouldn't bet on it. They tend to fail more spectacularly.

My bet would be bad capacitors. If you're out of things to try, replace all the electrolytic capacitors. It'll only cost a few bucks.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
@FroceMaster

The following two issues may be from a poor photo but check them to be sure.

- Check the big cap near the transistors. It looks like that one had some gas/vapor escape at one time. If so, it is bad.

- Also, look at the large yellow-taped transformer. It looks like the yellow tape got all puckered from overheating.

- Also look at the heat sink of Q1. It looks bent and out of place and may be touching Pin 1, which it shouldn't be touching.

Evil Lurker

Joined Aug 25, 2011
I had to let out a chuckle when I read the manufacturer of those caps... "Rubicong" an obvious rip-off of the respected Japanese manufacturer "Rubycon". This is the first time I have ever heard of this outfit... I actually have a few "Rulycon" capacitors in my collection. Sadly I opened one up only to find it was an actual capacitor, not a smaller capacitor shoved into the can of a larger cap and mislabeled.

Anyways, every single one of those caps should be considered suspect and replaced on sight, at least that is how I would deal with. And check out the issue with the primary switching transistors as well, that first pin does look awfully misaligned. I think the transformer is probably ok, looks like sticky foam residue.

Roderick Young

Joined Feb 22, 2015
Apologies in advance for asking something so simple, but is there high voltage DC present on the rectified line supply? It couldn't just be a blown fuse could it?