power supply disconnected but another supply plugged in

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by camochase, Sep 27, 2014.

1. camochase

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 17, 2013
    I have a battery ruining a circuit. I want to have it so that I can charge the battery with a small battery charging board I bought, but I need to know how to run the same circuit from the usb (which is available on board) while disconnecting the battery to charge until the charger is disconnected. Battery is 3.7v and usb is of course 5v I need help designing a circuit for this an solution with an ic to make it simple would be nice but simple components wouldn't hurt either

2. b1u3sf4n09

May 23, 2014
    Do you have a schematic or part number for the charging board? What kind of battery is this?

I have attached a doc which can help you get started. Hopefully it helps give you an idea of what kind of circuit you want or need. There is no shortage of options when it comes to battery charging.

3. wmodavis

Oct 23, 2010
    "I have a battery ruining a circuit."

You should never allow a battery to "ruin" a circuit.

4. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    I think I posted elsewhere the need for a groan button...

5. wmodavis

Oct 23, 2010
    I'd vote for a groin button.

6. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    There should be a quote by someone famouse: "This problem statement is problematic."

But I got to give points to OP for making it short and not wasting our time with the wall of text.

7. tom_s

Jun 27, 2014
    yes, and you were taken off the chrissy card list ;)

8. camochase

Nov 17, 2013
    I don't have any formal schematic or anything it's just a battery charger i got off Amazon. I can send a link or take a picture but the leads coming off are battery +- and usb+-. And the battery is an old phone battery for now but the type is li-ion 1400mah and 3.7v but thanks for the help

9. camochase

Nov 17, 2013
    From what I found the board it's tp4056