Power supply and microcontroller

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by MHR-Love, Apr 24, 2012.

1. MHR-Love

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Would there be any fear if I supplied both the microcontroller (through a voltage regulator) and the 12V DC motor using a driver connected to the microcontroller from the same 12V source???

Current will be distributed on both the motor and the controller and some other circuits interfaced with it. I think this might cause some current disturbance as DC motors require a considerable amount of current.
    I am afraid that the whole circuit will need more current than the one supplied by my AC-DC adapter (400mA).

If I can use the same source, what is the current rating of the new adapter that is suitable for this application?
    Thnx

2. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Do you have any specifications for the motor. Like how much current it draw. If the motor and the microcontroller do not overload the power-supply you should be OK. However it is nothing wrong in using one DC power supply for the motor and one for the controller. As long as the two power-supply share a common ground connection.

3. MHR-Love

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Its no load current is 100mA and the full load one is 300mA. The thing is that I don't know how much the current consumption of the PIC controller and the LCD interfaced with my controller is.
    Would this consumption be greater than 200mA?? For my application, the motor consumption will be 150mA at most.
    Thnx for replying

4. John P

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 14, 2008
    I'd be surprised if a processor and LCD together drew as much as 100mA. Even if the LCD has a backlight that draws significant current, it shouldn't be that much. You can check the processor's power draw in the spec sheet.

5. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    100mA for the controller part sounds much to me also. However it is not that high. So it may be correct. From what I can see. You should at least be able to to hook up your system to the 400mA power supply and do some measurement. If the current draw is larger than 400mA then abort. Do you have some schematics of your circuit. That may help to give better answers